Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnets v Tablet

FIXED
Chrisbrown2106
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Magnets v Tablet

My mother (who is unfortunately even less technically-minded then me) has a Samsung tablet which we have recently started having problems switching on. It will appear to load as normal but the screen remains blank apart from the small icons in the top right corner for time, internet strength, battery etc.  Sometimes switching it on and off a number of times corrects the problem and the tablet us usable.  The only change we can think has occurred is that my mother occasionally uses magnets to assist with arthritis in her knees and she will prop the tablet up in her lap when sat in her armchair. 

Is it likely that being in proximity to the magnets has caused the problem?  I seem to remember in the dim and distant past being told not to put magnets near computers but internet searches seems to suggest that this is not the problem it once was.  Any suggestions gratefully received and sorry if this post is not in the right area of the forum (if not perhaps a kind mod would move it to where it should be).

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Magnets v Tablet

@Chrisbrown2106  I'm no expert, but I would think putting magnets (even low 'powered' ones) near a tablet is not the best idea - they will play havoc with the electronic circuits.

This should really be in one of the 'tech' boards for greater visibility -I'll ask one of the mods to move it for you.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from General Chat to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Not sure what tablet it is - but iPads use magnets in cases for switching the screen on and off and the latest iPhones have mag safe chargers so not sure they’d do that much?
Customer / Moderator
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Unless they are super powered magnets I doubt it. Most phone and tablet cases have magnets built into them so they snap shut.

Maybe you're thinking of old CRT displays where if you held a small magnet close it would distort the display.

They're not some sort of buzzing electro magnets?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

As I said, I don't know much, so I could be totally wrong - just that I know 3.1/2" floppies didn't like magnets that close to them - I lost data off a few of them that way.

John
dvorak

That’s because floppies and spinning hard drives magnetically store data, so another magnetic source would correct them.
SSD doesn’t so won’t be impacted.
Customer / Moderator
Chrisbrown2106
Grafter

Thanks @jab1 @billnotben and @dvorak I know that the case has a magnetic closure so that has never caused a problem. In my brief internet research I came across both the reference to CRT and 3 1/2" floppies.  The only other information I could find (which means little to me as my technical knowledge can be written on the back of a postage stamp) is that magnet power is measured in gauss with a fridge magnet having a strength of 100 gauss.  Some of the magnetic jewellery and other wearable magnets seem to have a range of anywhere between 800 and 3,500 gauss.  Presumably magnetic closures will be on the lower end of the scale and my mother's arthritis magnets at the upper end.  Do you think there will be any way to repair the damage or am I looking at a new tablet?  Thanks for all your help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Chrisbrown2106 

It is possible to ‘degauss’ items, you expose them to an alternating magnetic field, which you slowly reduce. In the old days when this was a problem with CRTs as used in TVs and monitors there were many around. When you switched on some CRT  colour TVs it went ‘bong’, this was the built in degaussing working.

Geeky bit aside the question has to be whether this is the cause or if it’s permanent. Have you tried a factory reset on the tablet?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

@Chrisbrown2106 wrote:

It will appear to load as normal but the screen remains blank apart from the small icons in the top right corner for time, intenet strength, battery etc.

When you say "blank" do you mean black or is it the background wallpaper colour ?

Does the blank area change if you gently twist the tablet in either direction ? (like undoing a bottle) - I'm wondering if the LCD connector is corroded (usually easily cleaned if you can get into the case).  Sometimes twisting can move the connections slightly to make a difference, or at least show the fault is mechanical.

I highly doubt that magnets cause this,  more likely been dropped, splashed with water, or has LCD connector corrosion.

Might be worth investigating how to do a factory reset, or choosing less drastic options from the Android recovery menu.  This is often done by pressing POWER and VOLUME UP and HOME button simultaneously from being switched off.

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter

@Anonymous thanks for replying.  The screen is black (no wallpaper) with only the small white icons as previously mentioned.  I have not tried twisting it but will give it a go.  I know that the tablet has not been dropped or splashed.  My mother is extremely careful when handling the tablet.  Will see what options I have other than a factory reset.  Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter

Thanks @Baldrick1 I enjoy reading the geeky bits, I usually use these to try to teach myself something.  Going to try a factory reset and if that doesn't work probably a new tablet.  Although either way I will make sure she keeps it away from the magnets!

Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to my twisting method,  it might be worth trying to get a similar result using some of the other mechanical manipulation methods suggested in this video -

YouTube : Galaxy Tab A8: Black Screen? Won't Turn On? Easy Fixes! 

For an idea of what to do to achieve factory reset, this video might be of help -

YouTube : How To Factory Reset Restore a Samsung Tablet to Factory Settings 

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter

Hi thanks to all that replied.  @Anonymous unfortunately the twisting method achieved nothing.  I have done a factory reset and the tablet is now switching on again 😀.  The battery does not seem to be too healthy any more but while it is still limping along at least I don't have to buy a new one!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chrisbrown2106 wrote:

The battery does not seem to be too healthy any more but while it is still limping along at least I don't have to buy a new one!

It would be worth trying to recalibrate the battery power management as described in this -

How to calibrate Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) battery and Android 

I've done similar on various laptops and mobiles, and got increased battery run time for another year or so, then calibrated again.