cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac User-Problem with Parallels Desktop and VPN

dgood84

Mac User-Problem with Parallels Desktop and VPN

Evening,
                  I wonder if someone can help me with this computer problem.  I've started back at university this year and today I tried to setup a remote connection to my Documents Drive from my MacBook (using Parallels Desktop 5 and Windows XP on the same partition!).  I can't seem to connect to the VPN servers and keep getting port 619 errors.  This lead me to believe it maybe a firewall conflict so I disabled the mac, Windows XP, anti-virus, and router firewalls but the problem still kept reoccurring.  I have tried the University's own package for connecting remotely and also followed some instructions on how to set this remote connection up manually to the uni but with no joy so far!  Each time I have setup a new connection I have been careful to scrap the other one first.  Having done some research on the internet there's a possibility it could be a problem with Parallels Desktop itself.  The irony is I can set up a VPN in the Mac OS with no trouble but this is of no use to me unless I can use the mac VPN connection with the Windows Virtual Machine ... Phew!
Any suggestions very greatfully received.
Dan
2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Mac User-Problem with Parallels Desktop and VPN

Don't have much experience with Parallels, but I have a VPN working within Windows XP under VirtualBox on my MBP.
Might be worth trying that? It's free.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DennyMadfish
Hooked

Re: Mac User-Problem with Parallels Desktop and VPN

Dan,
I know this is 2 months late, but, in parallels 5:
Connect using the mac VPN and make sure your parallels network connection is set to shared.
The PC will use the same VPN tunnel that the mac is and you should be able to see everything you need to in the virtual machine.
Denny