cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC's ??

mlmclaren
Grafter

MAC's ??

So I know the new system now allows you to move provider by contacting the gaining provider only, but it requires a 10 day lead time in which nothing happens?
So can one still get a MAC code from his existing and give it to the gaingin provider to get the migration process starting straight away.
9 REPLIES 9
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: MAC's ??

MACs are a thing of the past.  Gaining Provider Lead is just like the process used for phone line transfers:
- Place order with new provider
- The new order triggers a notification to the old provider that you're leaving
- The old provider contacts you to confirm that you have requested the migration.  10 working days is allowed for this and if the old provider hasn't heard from you in this period that there's been a mistake then the migration takes place.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Thanks @pwatson. but to clarify my original post was the following...
Quote from: The
So I know the new system now allows you to move provider by contacting the gaining provider only, but it requires a 10 day lead time in which nothing happens?
So can one still get a MAC code from his existing and give it to the gaingin provider to get the migration process starting straight away.

Note the bold  Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

OK - To clarify my answer further:
No
Wink
mlmclaren
Grafter

Sorry if my last post seemed a bit aggressive Smiley
Anyway, soo the new system makes the process slower but less hassle, correct? 
avatastic
Grafter

Correct, you don't need to contact your existing provider, sit in their queues and listen to their retention speal / deals, you can just go to wherever you were going to use your MAC and start from there.
I don't know if there are provisions in place for you to, once you've been contacted by your existing provider, to contact them and say "No, it's no mistake" and they'll move things along faster for you, but it seems unlikely.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's a 10 working day transfer time with the new MACless system, this gives the losing provider the opportunity to contact the customer and ask whether it's a legitimate request.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mlmclaren
Grafter

So no way to speed it up then?  Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Nope, 10 days is the period Ofcom advised for this I believe.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Estragon
Rising Star

It is also forbidden for the losing provider to make any attempt to entice the customer to stay when they ask if they have requested the move. It is purely so the customer can act to prevent being slammed.
As far as I know there is no reason the customer cannot also contact retentions and ask if there is a deal, but this must not be initiated by the losing provider. It would be best done before signing up to the new one, because even if it is allowed afterwards most staff will probably have been briefed that it isn't allowed, so as to avoid accidental rule-breaking.
The customer also has right up until the transfer takes place to cancel it for any reason by contacting the gaining provider. The losing one cannot stop it unless the gaining one has refused so to do when told by the customer.
See the Ofcom rules, Section 22 starting on page 78. Paragraphs 22.1 to 22.15 inclusive cover most of the important stuff, and Annex 1 on page 89 is where the situations in which the losing provider can block the move are specified,