Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load-Balancing and Failover DrayTek Vigor 2862 Series

FIXED
markuswelby
Rising Star

Load-Balancing and Failover DrayTek Vigor 2862 Series

I'm seriously considering having a second telephone line installed with another FTTC 80/20 connection with Plusnet. Then in November when my voda 80/20 contract ends switch that vdsl line to Uno for example or whatever.

I've looked up a little about Load-Balancing and Failover for two vdsl lines and stumbled across the DrayTek Vigor 2862 Series ADSL/VDSL Business Class Router.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these  for Load-Balancing and Failover on two vdsl lines?

Or can anyone recommend any good ones or better?

All advice welcome on this subject of Load-Balancing and Failover on two vdsl lines.

Thanks in advance

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
4 REPLIES 4
adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Load-Balancing and Failover DrayTek Vigor 2862 Series

Fix

We used to use a Draytek with 2 x 80/20 FTTC and it worked very well for both load balancing and failover.  Easy to set up too!  I don't know personally of any other kit that works as well at the Draytek.

Live long and prosper!
markuswelby
Rising Star

@adrianscotter wrote:

We used to use a Draytek with 2 x 80/20 FTTC and it worked very well for both load balancing and failover.  

Many thanks for the info @adrianscotter

I purchased a DrayTek Vigor 2862 Series weekend before last, ready for when my 200 mbps Virgin Media Cable connection was available (last Tuesday). You are right! It does work very well  for both load balancing and failover. I've tested it on both those fronts and I can't fault it. It works impeccably well!

My current FTTC VF superfast 2 sync went up from 67/20 to 70/20 instantly too! (I will be switching this from VF to Plusnet in November).

Very easy to set up, like you say!

Although from what I've seen, so long as you make sure you purchase the UK version, with UK the xxxxxx_BT Firmware already on board, it's just plain sailing!

When I did some research, before hand, I found that some people in the UK had purchased a non-UK Firmware version , out of the box (a grey import, non-UK version). This can be very tricky to set up from what I've seen. So, from what I can see, it must have an xxxxxxx_BT (UK) Firmware installed to even consider it.

Many Thanks again!

Live long and prosper Spoc_ Wink

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

I buy all my kit from UK distributors so haven't come across the issue of a non-UK firmware, I'm using a Vigor 2760 at present and it's been very good, so I'm a happy little bunny.  Ever since I've been using them, I've only ever had one fail and that was replaced under warranty so all in all, a good buy at the price they're sold at.  The Draytek site is pretty good with lots of support although you do have to register with an email address, that said, they never contact you with anything.  200Mbps makes me jealous, especially with an 80/20 backup / balance... *sigh*  Have fun and enjoy!

Live long and prosper!
markuswelby
Rising Star

@adrianscotter wrote:

The Draytek site is pretty good with lots of support although you do have to register with an email address, that said, they never contact you with anything. 

Yes indeed, the Draytek site is pretty good, like you say.

To be honest the Virgin media 200 Mbps connection wasn't my first choice. When I did use them before, twice they had line card issues and took 3 months to fix it each time. Currently it's working perfectly though. Over wise I would of cancelled it during the 14 day period.

I would actually be just as happy with a second FTTC 80/20 line.

However, the last two times we had new lines installed, it was a complete disaster both times.

The last time, our neighbour lost their FTTC for over a week. This was due to my new broadband being connected to their telephone line. My ISP could see their Global4 modem when they checked the line.

So I had no broadband at all on my new line, and the neighbours modem, which was trying to connect to their existing service but had been disconnected completely, and obviously wouldn't log in to my broadband with their existing user name and password for their service. 

The time before, an even longer story.

So I decided not to go down that route again, in case of another disaster scenario.

It's not fair on my neighbours.

So I opted for the much safer option of cable broadband as a backup/balance.

This way my neighbours also continue to have fun and enjoy! Smiley