Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited access

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Limited access

That sticker says it has wifi, previously abbreviated here to b/g/n and indicates it should work with all routers.

There is a wifi fault in your laptop - so wifi doesn't work (but should).

Ethernet cable will virtually always give higher speeds & more reliable connections. You can buy longer lengths of it if the Plusnet cable is a bit short.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi

My problem though is WiFi deffo does work. It ran perfectly when I took it to McDonalds the other day.

It also worked perfectly up to 3 weeks ago when I got the new Router since when it drops connection randomly even though the other things are not affected

So I was told to but a b/g/n Adaptor (and which one to get) but then I spotted the Sticker saying I had it built in anyway so now I am wondering whether to buy such an adaptor in case there is a fault with my Laptops WiFi perculiar to the new Router

I have virtually given up and will be looking for a 3 metre Ethernet Cable by the end of today - its much less grief !

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

your problem is one of compatability, the wifi in your laptop is not new so it conforms ot an older standard than new things, some routers will still talk to it either because they are high end business things or because they are also old.

your choices are spend a fortune so it works buy getting a business grade VDSL router for you home (they start at £250) because unlike "home" devices they have the extra stuff that makes them more widely compatible, buy a new wifi adaptor or a new laptop or just use the cable when at home.

the reason it works in macyd's is they have an expensive device capable of working with hundreds of clients on all different standards but I doubt you want to spend a couple of grand on one like that for you home.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero

Yes - its a difficult situation.

1. All wifi devices (except laptop) work at home.

2. Laptop only works with wifi outside home.

The only common factor seems to be your house!

For example, if you stood next to your failing laptop & used a mobile to download some data over wifi via your router would it fail?

BTW Is the any way you can revert to the old router?

I've forgotten why you have a new router. Roll_eyes

VileReynard
Hero

Can I add that I've got a 10 year old laptop which has always run wifi perfectly, including all Plusnet routers (ADSL & fibre). I don't have the cheap rubbish they supply now, though.

They gave me a uncrippled Netgear router about 4 years ago. Still going strong.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah well some stuff is built to a higher standard......

I had a dell laptop and its wifi was built to their standard, but they used an early reference standard (cos its cheaper) to make their adaptors instead of the final draft so it never worked with anything not sold by them,

then again I have HP devices (built to the final draft standard) and they "just work" fine.

sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get a lemon/

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@VileReynard wrote:

Yes - its a difficult situation.

1. All wifi devices (except laptop) work at home.

2. Laptop only works with wifi outside home.

The only common factor seems to be your house!

For example, if you stood next to your failing laptop & used a mobile to download some data over wifi via your router would it fail?

BTW Is the any way you can revert to the old router?

I've forgotten why you have a new router. Roll_eyes

Yes the Mobile is next to the Laptop at the moment and though I am not using it for hours or even minutes on end it has never stopped and neither has the Wifes IPad

I would like to thanks everyone on here for both their patience and suggestions - and clearly we have done the thing to death and I will move on

Until I but a new Laptop which wont be for a while .... I will buy the WiFi Adaptor suggested earlier on here and if that fails I will then get a 3 metre long Ethernet Cable because as I stated earlier its heaven just to use the Laptop "normally"

Thanks again everyone for all the help Bamboozled !

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I wonder if you can have a dual band router with one band that works and the other band that is faulty?  We have assumed that the problem was not to do with the router because some devices work without issue - but could that be because they are on the 'good' band whilst the computer is on the 'bad' one?

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Just to wind this one up. My Tech "guru" cam yesterday and spent ages - and I mean ages doing lots of the things suggested in the above Posts including installing new Drivers (all the stuff I have not dared to fiddle with)

When he left we thought he had cured the fault - but as it is random we were not sure, 2 minutes after he left it went "Limited" for the last time as my new 10m Ethernet Cable went in and that's where it will stay till I get a new Laptop

Job done