Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited access

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Limited access

Since the router is only 6 feet from the laptop, have you tried making a wired (ethernet) connection? Plusnet really ought to have sent a short piece of ethernet, but probably haven't...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the routers do come with an Ethernet cable.
after-all how are you supposed to be able to use it "out the box" if you don't have WiFi.
VileReynard
Hero

Well, I don't know - I haven't had a Plusnet router for at least 4 years (and I was given a Netgear one).

Thought it might be a cost-cutting measure. Cheesy

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi and thanks for that. Yes I have the one shown on the Left so will print out the instructions and try the fix and report back

Thanks again

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Relying to Spendlesstime

I studied the Online Video and wrote down the steps and changed the SSID to have a 5 on the end (I do as I am told!!!).

I know this will be a stupid question but can you explain the last line of your suggestion "Sync with 2.4Ghz (5ghz band only). What I did is change the setting using the Pink Radio Button to NO and hoped that was correct ?

I then applied the Change and restarted as the Video instructed but when I turned back on the Wifi Network with the 5 at the end did not appear in my options but the original one without the 5 at the end was still there so I connected to that

Am I on the right track - or should I have restarted the Router ? If you wear your Mallet out I will buy you another gladly

Cheers Bamboozled !

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Bamboozled

Yes, setting "Sync with 2.4Ghz(5GHz band Only)" to No is what I meant.

The network ending in 5 will only appear if the PC/phone/laptop supports the 5Ghz band. That maybe why you cannot see it from your PC as the PC wireless card doesn't support 5GHz?

The old name is still the name of the 2.4Ghz WiFi so that will still appear.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi and thanks again

In that case I surprised myself and did what I was supposed to correctly . Obviously my Laptop must not be able to access 5 ghz - but having done that part right my Laptop has still gone to limited twice since so it has not cured the fault unfortunately

Anything else I could try please as it is f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-I-n-g as h***

Cheers JT

VileReynard
Hero

It would make sense to rule out all the vagaries of wi-fi; if a simple wired connection doesn't work then changing wireless settings won't help.

Also, a wired connection will indicate the maximum speed that this particular set-up is capable of, with your present configuration.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Bamboozled

plug the laptop into the router with an Ethernet cable and switch the wifi off on the laptop, if it holds the connection without going limited then two possibilities exist,

1) the laptops wifi card is dying

2) something (like a mobile phone or PSU) is causing interference,

if you notice that the lights seem to dim/brighten slightly around the time that you loose wifi signal I'd be looking at the power supply for the router needing to be connected to a surge protector, if theres no change in surrounding equipment and nothing nearby (like a mobile phone or a cordless phone) and your microwave isn't in use each time it drops to limited then look at it being the laptop wifi card that's at fault.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@yorkshire7 wrote:

...  I think it is the broadband not the laptop.  .....

If the error message is "Limited Access" then the problem is the connection between your device (computer) and your router. It means that the DHCP process has failed and the router has not been able to assign an IP address to your device.  If this happens then the computer invents its own wrong IP address and cannot communicate with (or via) the router.

There used to be an error message about "Limited Connectivity" but that message has not been seen since Windows XP.  "Limited Connectivity" usually did mean a broadband problem.   

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi and many thanks for the reply and sorry for my late thanks. Short story ... a bit hectic !

Just going to try the things you suggest but a couple of things caught me eye in your reply. What is a PSU please ? I did choose my name Bamboozled carefully !

Microwave not in action that much and I can go "limited" several times an hour and it is really disruptive. Wife wants me to just buy a new PC as she is sick of the cursing but the Yorkshireman in me is at the forefront at the moment.

The other thing I noticed was the reference to Cordless Phones and I have one stood right next to my Router. It is plugged in the Splitter alongside the Router so I will try moving it elsewhere as soon as I have finished replying to one more kind gentleman - but the previous Router (PlusNet ordinary Broadband) did not cause any problems (but then again that may be entirely expected).

I also have a Wirefree Burglar Alarm and a Wirefree Thermostat the latter sat right by the Router. In fact I will move that if the Cordless Phone "move" does not improve things. I think the Burglar Alarm is causing my loss of Speed too as in the Master Socket I get 25 but in the front of the Master Socket the speed drops to 14. My installer is coming to disconnect the Alarm Wire that goes into the Master Socket and again (total guess) that WILL up the speed but may solve the "Limited" issue too !

Lastly as another snippet for you - nothing else is affected by this problem that I know of. Wifes I pad is a few feet further from Router and she never has any problems with the Wifi. Quite often she uses it in bed and again no problems at all and my Mobile connects ok but of course I don't use it that much as I am always on the Laptop in the House

Cheers again JT

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

PSU = Power Supply Unit .  This is inevitably an AC to DC transformer.  The worst type are "switched mode" which are prone to giving out lots of high frequency noise which must be suitably 'blocked'.

Given that the iPad and phone don't experience problems, the finger of suspicion points to the wireless adaptor in your PC.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Bamboozled wrote:

... I also have a Wirefree Burglar Alarm and a Wirefree Thermostat the latter sat right by the Router. In fact I will move that if the Cordless Phone "move" does not improve things. I think the Burglar Alarm is causing my loss of Speed too ...

You are suggesting (quite possible) that the wireless burglar alarm is interfering with your Wi-Fi.  Have you therefore considered the fact that your Wi-Fi (and other wireless devices such as your cordless phone etc.) may conversely be affecting your wireless burglar alarm, thereby rendering it unreliable? 

VileReynard
Hero

Do all these nefarious wireless devices share your main router or does each one have a totally different internet connection? A burglar alarm that relies on mains power is a bit useless.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi .... NO the Alarm itself is Wire free apart from the Mains Supply which if the Mains goes off the Battery Back up kicks in

However the Master Socket (in my Loft as I live in a Bungalow) has a phone line hard wired into it so it can ring my Mobile if anyone "breaks in" or Tampers with the Alarm in any way.

At that point I have about 6 choices and depending on what number I choose on Mobile I can simply "accept" the Alarm or listen via the Keypad or even talk to the Burglars

So when I tap into the Master Socket (Test part with front cover off) I get 24 speed and that does stop the Phone line from the Alarm as well. However plugging into the Master Socket with the front cover on the Alarm is back connected and the Speed drops to 14 

I am expecting my Alarm man any day now and will get him to disconnect the Telephone Link and I am sure the Speed even at the Front Socket will be up to 24. He is also going to try to improve things by fitting a Splitter to the Phone Line feed if he has not put one in

Cheers Bamboozled