Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited access

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Limited access

Have you tried a wired connection with your home router yet?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I have had an Ethernet Cable in since I set it up but I cant remember why now.

Just give me the steps please and what I am aiming to do and I will try it as this is purgatory being Limited or frozen every few Minutes

At least having 45 Mins trouble free should have exonerated the Laptop would you say

I saw a Laptop at Tesco 6gb / 1 Tb 149.99 to clear and nearly bought it just to move on !

Cheers JT

ps Luckily I remembered just in time to save all the above Text as as soon as I pressed "Post" the thing froze again

VileReynard
Hero

Linux just makes the connection automatically (plug and go).

Does Windows do the same?

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Yes

I followed another suggestion on here to uninstall the Router via Device Manager and when I started my PC up again it "found" the Router automatically but did not unfortunately cure the fault

So if I switch Wifi off my PC using In Flight option ?? then connect Ethernet cable and go on Internet as usual I should be able to use it without interruption do you think ?

VileReynard
Hero

Why not? - Anything seems to be worth a try.

There is obviously a fault somewhere, but because it only affects this one device, it must be internal to your house.

Perhaps you could borrow a laptop & give it a trial run?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Bamboozled wrote:

I followed another suggestion on here to uninstall the Router via Device Manager and when I started my PC up again it "found" the Router automatically but did not unfortunately cure the fault

You cannot uninstall a router.  What you can uninstall is the wireless adaptor, the component that makes the wireless connection to your router.  You can also use Device Manager to disable it completely.  And you can buy a new wireless adaptor that would plug into USB slot for £10 to £20, typically.  But just disable the wireless adaptor and use a cable if that is not inconvenient.   

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi

Yes probably my terminology at fault ! I did cut off the Wifi signal to the Latptop from the Router and then restarted the Router - fault still there - Limited (disconnected really) - Then Windows Diagnostics run for about a minute and it comes up The default gateway is not available 99 % of the time

So in summary

I did not have this problem ever with the old Router

It then appeared along with the new Router

Only my Laptop is affected in the House...all other devices never have problems

My Laptop worked perfectly in McDonalds yesterday for almost 45 Minutes (that would have been 15 ish resets at home)

My Laptop is working perfectly this morning connected via Ethernet Cable

I have tried at least 5 different "fixes" now all as suggested in above Posts and I am grateful for all the help and interest I have received and if anyone can suggest anything else I could try I would be grateful too and grateful beyond belief for the one magic suggestion that allows me to forget this annoyance forever

It will be solved simply by keeping the Ethernet Cable in but really I could do with getting the issue sorted. There is a suggested fix or 2 on Youtube but I have not tried them yet. as I am trying to follow the information on here in a logical way

Cheers again Bamboozled !   

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if the problem were the router then it would show up across all the deveices,

the problem will be the wifi adaptor in the laptop, it will not be up to spec for the newer router and so will be constantly going out of phase and dropping the link (not technically correct I know but close enough) your options to fix that problem are going to a shop and buying a new laptop with a newer a/b/g/n/ac compliant wifi or just buying a plug in a/b/g/n/ac compliant adaptor, or just stick to the Ethernet cable and use it like a desktop.

the problem is that as the standards change newer kit is not always compatible with older kit (they don't work properly together) but the faulty kit is the old stuff, if I was being cynical I would suggest this is done on purpose to drive replacement's and thus keep the industry moving, but being realistic its not always possible to keep the old junk working on a technical level when your creating new options /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero

You only need a b/g/n adaptor if you are not aiming to future-proof your laptop, since that is all your router supports. It's also cheaper. Smiley

nanotm
Pro

iirc the hubone has .ac support as well as offering both 2.4 and 5ghz connections on wifi...

anything that's old is likely to suffer similar compatibility problems with regards to wifi and signal loss/

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@VileReynard wrote:

You only need a b/g/n adaptor if you are not aiming to future-proof your laptop, since that is all your router supports. It's also cheaper. Smiley

I will go with that idea - I am thinking in terms of changing Laptop although not for a while

There are some really cheap Adaptors (if I am looking at the right things of course) one at £2.22 but I noticed it was 150 bps and the one I have linked is double that !

Given my complete novice rating in such matters is this the sort of thing I want and would you think this one is ok ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-Wifi-Mini-Usb-Adapter-Wireless-Dongle-Adaptor-802-11-B-G-N-Lan-Net...

many thanks again JT

VileReynard
Hero

The reviews are not exactly 100% - but for a £2 item it might be worth a try.

I would pay more and go for 300Mbps - perhaps £6 (on Amazon) for the postage free items.

nanotm
Pro

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-300Mbps-Dual-Band-2-4Ghz-5Ghz-Wireless-USB-Dongle-Adapter-802-11-a-b-...

if your going for something cheap then this would be better

since it offers you the 5ghz frequency as well which is likely to be less cluttered than the 2.4, it also doesn't get affect as much buy other stuff in the vicinity of the signal in the same way the 2.4ghz channels do

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Thanks again

I must say it is HEAVEN using the Ethernet Cable to connect and using the Internet "normally"

I has really Bamboozled by the choice of these things so your suggestion looks good and almost makes the decision for me. The only thing I question is would it be OK for 8.1 ? It mentions Vista/W7/W8 .... I suppose it does but would be guessing !

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Sorry ... whilst out walking with Dog I thought whether my current Laptop HP EasyNote TE SHOULD actually be compatible with the PlusNet Router

Having just returned I studied the Label on the PC and saw one of the "highlights" shows WiFi logo and 802.11b/g/n so does that actually mean my Laptop should be compatible with my Router after all ?

If yes this will be my last post and I will run it via Ethernet to save everyone on here from further "questioning"

Many thanks again Bamboozled