cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Windows 10 Update 1709 - Help please !

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Latest Windows 10 Update 1709 - Help please !

I have read a suggestion that you get the error message I quote previously if certain registry keys are missing:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components 
and the two items are for Address Book 6 and Outlook Express 6 both of which invoke the user path of 
c:\program files\outlook express\setup50.exe.

Shermans, can you look if such keys are present in your Windows 10 1703?  You'll have to look inside each of the keys with a long number under Installed Components.    

cnfcomps

The registry entries don't exist in 1709 but adding them in fixes the problem!

Please see my blog for details and downloads of the missing keys:

http://wintegrity.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/how-to-fix-outlook-requires-microsoft.html

Matt.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Matt, thank you very much for going to the trouble of registering so you could give us the solution.

I don't suppose you know how to get Outlook 2002 to remember the password?  There was a trick that would work with Windows 7 but I never managed to find a Windows 10 equivalent.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I can now confirm that the solution posted by Matt worked for my client's Outlook 2002 ("XP") running under Windows 10 v 1709 and so would presumably also work for @shermans Oulook 2000.  I suspect it might be necessary to re-apply the fix every time that Windows 10 undergoes a version update but that is very quick and easy when you know what to do.  At the very least, having Outlook working gives you the opportunity to rescue your emails, contacts etc.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But why would anyone use an OS that periodically [-Censored-] up their software?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VileReynard - Because they, like most users, assume that the vendor isn't going to screw up. But with BillyWare, when and how is anyone's guess.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@VileReynard wrote:

But why would anyone use an OS that periodically [-Censored-] up their software?

Because the whole business of selling us computer hardware and software relies on persuading us to buy much the same thing again and again.  This is used to be done by improving the hardware to give better performance but latterly it has more to do with convincing us that new is better and also by planned obsolescence.  I don't know if you are going to tell me that Linux has infinite backwards compatibility for all hardware and software but neither Windows nor MacOS does.  After all, Outlook 2002 is 15 years old.     

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So its OK to sell an "improved" OS that you know will break the software that it is supposed to run?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Jeremy, sometimes I cannot tell if you really don't understand or you are just playing troll.  Office 2000 was released on 7/6/1999 and reached "end of extended support" on 14/7/2009.  Office 2002 ("XP") was released on 31/5/2001 and reached "end of extended support" on 12/7/2011.  That's about  a 10 year product life in both cases.  Neither software package was ever "supposed" to work on Windows 10.  But by and large they did and indeed they still do.  To make Outlook work again with version 1709 of Windows 10 you need to perform a "repair" to the Windows Registry, as outlined by @cnfcomps (Matt) in his helpful post.   

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

As the OP, I apologise if I have not responded to this thread for sometime - I have been blissfully out of internet reach for three weeks, down South with the penguins, and have only just returned after spending Christmas and the New Year down there !  As one of my fellow travellers said, if you can describe Antarctica, you have not been there !  Suffice it to say, I landed on Cape Horn itself and even swam in the Arctic Ocean with the icebergs and surrounded by penguins (for less than a half a minute !).

Anyway, I am intrigued about Matt's fix for the Outlook problem, and I will try it when I have come back down to earth.  It seems absurd that such a stupid cause could be allowed to be perpetuated.  But it begs the question whether in fact there is any way to de-compile the Outlook set-up to remove the offending registry reference ?

With regard to the various comments about people like me being neanderthals by continuing to use old versions of Outlook, they miss the point completely.  Outlook *.pst files are the equivalent of paper, ink and photographic film - they are historic archives, records of our lives.  In my case, I became essentially paperless in 1995 - before most of the adverse commentators were probably born - and I cherish my old *.pst and *.ost files, and regularly access them.  When I bought Outlook, there was nothing to suggest that my records would become inaccessble after so many years; that is my main beef.  However, the younger generation would not understand and have no respect for the past.  Sadly, as a society, we will eventually lose our heritage due to electronic age.

Which neatly takes me back to Antartica !  It is depressing, but the Chinese are already invading that Continent in indecent numbers and it is already endangered.

shermans
Pro

Hi Matt

It is rather late to respond to your post about the missing registry entries, but I hope you may still see this !

One of my Windows 10, 64 bit machines has just automatically uploaded to 1709 without my knowing - I came down to breakfast to find various screen messages and on checking, discovered that it had done it without asking.  This particular machine is rarely connected to the internet but on this occasion it was !

Outlook was not actually loaded either on this machine, but I thought that I would try to install your recommended fixes to the registry problem anyway.  However, on opening the registry I have discovered that both registry entries are there in the latest version of 1709, it would appear.  Maybe Microsoft has been alerted to the issue and corrected it in the intervening period.

The first registry entry is labelled identically : {7790769C-0471-11d2-AF11-00C04FA35D02}

The second is nearly the same : {44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015F} - it starts {44BBA440 ...} instead of {44BBA855....}.  I am assuming they are the same.

I have not tried to load Outlook on this machine, but having wound back the Windows 10 updates from 1709 to an earlier release, I am wondering whether I can now safely upgrade again to 1709 on the other machines where I do use Outlook.  Any thoughts ?

Nick

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If I were you I would load Outlook on the machine that doesn't have it and run it as a test.  Just make sure it is configured to leave a copy of messages on the server before you try it so it does not interfere with normal operations.

shermans
Pro

I will do that, but I do not have the CD with me here, so it will have to wait until Easter !