Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing application as service

Cloudmaster
Grafter

Installing application as service

Hi all,
Hopefully someone here can put an end to my troubles.  I'm trying to install an application as a service using the instsrv & srvany applications on Windows Server 2003.  The application is installed, it's just the service bit I'm having problems with.
The service name will be two words & I'm wondering if that's the problem, though I've done this exact same procedure on another server so I know a two name service can be set up in this way.
The error is always 'The fully qualified path to the .EXE must be given', though I've tried every combination of syntax I can think of to no avail.
Thanks for looking
4 REPLIES 4
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Re: Installing application as service

Don't worry, finally found a combination that worked (though I'me SURE I'd already tried it)
KenA
Grafter

Hi Cloudmaster,
I'd be interested in how you set this up & your solution.  Can you share it with us, please?
Cloudmaster
Grafter

I'm not good at writing technical manuals, but here goes
The first thing to do is download the Windows Resource Kit here -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displa...
After installing it, copy instsrv.exe & srvany.exe from
C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
to
c:\windows\system32
Open up an MS-DOS command prompt.
Type the following command: instsrv servicename c:\windows\system32\srvany.exe
servicename can be whatever you want, but should be descriptive (if servicename has two words or more enclose in ").
Open up the Registry Editor (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and type REGEDIT)
Locate & highlight the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\servicename
From the Edit menu, select New, select Key, and name the new key 'Parameters'
Highlight the 'Parameters' key
From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new value 'Application'
From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path to the program servicename is calling
From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new value 'AppDirectory'
From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path to the directory servicename resides in
Close the Registry Editor.
Open the Services applet and find the servicename service, right click and go to properties
Set Startup Type to Automatic
On the Log On page, check 'Allow service to interact with desktop'
On the General page, start the service.  Servicename should start after a couple seconds.
KenA
Grafter

Thanks Smiley  I'll give it a go after the weekend.