Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info about using Netgear Nighthawk R7000

FIXED
T-squared
Hooked

Info about using Netgear Nighthawk R7000

I'm considering upgrading to a router with better WiFi coverage than my supplied Hub One and been looking at the Netgear Nighthawk R7000.  I understand this has no built-in modem, so I'll need to get one I guess?

OK, my question is:-

I have an old Plusnet Technicolor router knocking about somewhere.  Could I use this as a modem?

Or I guess I could use the Hub One's modem with WiFi switched off.

Is this feasible?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

TonyT

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Info about using Netgear Nighthawk R7000

I'm assuming you're on FTTC as you have the Hub One, so  No, you can't use the Technicolor as a modem, it's ADSL only.

You could use the Hub one by setting the R7000 into access point mode and connecting to the Hub one.

I've no information on the performance of the R7000, but if you're considering buying one then why not look at the D7000 which has a built in VDSL modem and so would replace the Hub one completely.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@T-squared  Welcome to the forum.

If you fancy a Nighthawk 7000 then why not buy a D7000 as that has a built in modem?

For a lot less money you could get a BT Smarthub 6 off an auction site and set that up to work on your Plusnet account. You will find setting instructions pinned tat the top of the router board.

Edit.

@MisterW  types faster than me!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Another vote for the D7000, I have been using one for a number of years now without any issues.

T-squared
Hooked

Hi and thanks so much for your reply and advice.

Re the BT Smart Hub, I read these were dedicated to BT's broadband?Huh

Is this correct or can they indeed be used with Plusnet?

Thanks again

\TonyT

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

@T-squared 

They can indeed and many of us do. They are not plug and play on Plusnet, the setting procedure is here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Ignore all the BT only labels, all models work on a Plusnet account. If you want additional bells and whistles like the ability to set your own choice of DNS servers then get a Business model.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

T-squared
Hooked

Just to say THANKS to Baldrick1, MisterW, Mustrum fo all your input on my query.

Most helpful!!