Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Humax PVR 'losing' signal.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Humax PVR 'losing' signal.

They are all HD recorders @nozzer, none of which exhibit this issue. So as you say this leaves us with the line feed from the attic, or the device itself. Nothing has changed with the physical line, so it may be the amp. But if it is the amp then why is it only manifesting itself on 'my line'. Taking the amp out of the equation we're left with the device.

I'm going to swap mine with the one in the lounge as they are identical units and see where this gets me. I've set it to record from the HD channels at the same time I would have be using it and if these fail we know where to point the finger.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Mine's an HDR Fox-T2 like @nozzer's, and will be celebrating nine years of service in August.  There have been a few (three I think) occasions when I've got the "No signal, this channel is either not available or scrambled." or words to that effect.  I get the same message when trying other channels, and even when trying to watch a previously recorded programme that I've already watched part of in faultless quality.  It seems to happen if I'm watching one channel while recording one or two others and rewinding and fast-forwarding a fair bit.  A few days ago I was watching a programme on C4 HD which I'd missed the beginning of so when it finished I swithced to C4+1 (SD) in order to catch the beginning of the programme.  Although I got a picture it was unwatchable; the other two channels I checked were just as bad.

In all these cases the remedy seems to be to switch the Humax off, not via the remote control but using the switch at the back or at the wall socket.  Any recording in progress will of course stop as the power to the recorder is lost.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@Mook 

If you do find that another pvr is ok, try replacing the coax lead in the original one to see if it works. You might have disturbed something when swapping leads.

And if all else fails, do a retune without the aerial lead plugged in, then switch off and leave, then do a retune with the aerial plugged in again. That forces any dross out of the pvr program memory. 

@Jonpe 

Picture berakup like that is often caused by local radio interference. We have a taxi firm near us that seems to occasionally cause problems, but it depends on the weather, ie whether it's high pressure air. It's caused signal bouncing/reflection and confuses the receiver. Not something that can be fixed if the culprit is obeying the rules apparently. 

Such are the joys of digital reception. 😶

rpaco
Grafter

Yes I have the exact same model and same problem as you.

In my case the aerial cable is plugged into the Humax then a loop out to the tv.  The tv works fine on all channels while the FVP 5000T has a weak or no signal on many including Ch4+1 5USA and about six other that I used to watch or record from. Sometimes the error message infers the the channel is scrambled.  Many recordings now show a broken tape symbol and say the recording did not work etc, however some are ok, if you start to show it and look at the prog length on the time elapsed bar at the bottom, if its "0" don't bother but if the true prog length is shown it may be watchable (or partly)

OK yes I have checked all the cables from the antenna, the pre-amp, the distributor amp and the co-ax plug into the tv.

I have re-tuned both soft and full many times. Plus each time a new Channel frequency change notice is displayed.

This all started when the tv transmitters kicked off some tv frequencies in favour of 5G and reduced power on some of the remainder.  

The signal strength tonight is showing 82% on Tuner 1.  91% on Tuner 2 and 0% on Tuner 3. But it seems to be working better, its damp if not raining. 

The 3 other tvs in the house all work fine on all channels plus the one to which the Humax is attached  (used as a monitor on playback or on Freeview plus.)  

The signal passes into the Humax then out to the tv! So I wondered if there is a duff RF connection inside the box. But now on searching I find it is a very common problem also affecting Freesat boxes as well as Freeview (+ Plus) Not only here but many are reffering to Fox, so I gather in the USA  too.

Any bright ideas, (not including checking plugs or retuning)?

rpaco
Grafter

Further to my post of yesterday I have now done a factory reset (but keeping existing recordings) and let it go through a first time installation again. (take photo of scheduled recordings first) This seems to be a great improvement.

BTW I suppose you have the software update UKTFAE 1.03.52 of 12 June installed.  This fixed the My5 player.