Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hudl 2 charging problems?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Hudl 2 charging problems?

Impressed as I am with what my Hudl 2 tablet can do, it can't do anything for very long if the battery isn't charging properly, and I'd already discovered that when using it in the car as a Satnav, connected to an in-car charger, it ran down faster than it was charging, and have also found that it doesn't seem to charge via the mains charger when switched on (or if it does it still discharges quicker than it charges.)
Even powered down it only charges slowly via the mains charger (around 20 hours from fully discharged as far as I can tell.)
Yesterday I installed an app called 'Battery Doctor' to find out what was going on - at around noon I switched the Hudl completely off and half an hour later checked the app to see what was happening - it showed it was charging (5% charged - I had run it completely flat) and an estimate of about 2 hours 30 minutes to fully charge.
Powered it back down again and left it on charge - 5 hours later it was still only at 49%, and Battery Doctor told me that it was 'draining fast' and the estimate was another hour or so to fully charge, which of course didn't happen because I was using it!.
Whether you've already got one or have asked Santa for one, if you get similar problems you may like to read the following link - it seems that Tossco have finally admitted there is a problem with it, and will issue a firmware upgrade on 5th Jan, although that isn't likely to please many new 'Hudlers', and has already been postponed at least once since they first promised it (before Christmas would have been a very good idea!)  Roll_eyes
Don't fancy the so-called 'fix' of doing a factory re-set, partly because it only seems to work temporarily, and partly because I've spent a lot of time customising it to how I want it - the same goes for taking it back, although I shall have to if it carries on like this and the firmware update (when it eventually happens) doesn't work. Hard to tell whether everyone is affected - I think there would be a much bigger stink if they were, so if it is a firmware glitch it possibly only arises when there are certain customisation changes to the factory settings, although I for one haven't been trying anything 'weird' with mine!
LINK
17 REPLIES 17
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Hudl 2 charging problems?

Not noticed the issue on mine (ok SHMBO's). You NEED to use a 2A charger & cable, any old one will not do, the charger & cable I used to use for my android tablet wouldn't charge the hudl. Not sure about car chargers, the only one I have is ok for my phone but I doubt it would charge the hudl.
I found the cable issue on my phone (LG-610) which if you use a "normal" cable says slow charging, but if you use the supplied cable it says fast charging.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I was going to say that you should use the charger supplied with the HUDL2. That is probably most relevant to when you were using it in the car
My HUDL2 doesn't have the battery life of SWMBOs iPad but I knew that before I bought it and it is acceptable  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
JayG
Pro

Both mains chargers, and the in-car adapter are Tesco-branded items bearing the Hudl 2 logo, and the mains chargers are both rated at 2A output, so it's not that. The connecting cables used are also 'OE'.
The discussion in the linked thread suggests that the problem Hudl's are unable to recognise that the charger is capable of supplying more current than, say, a PC USB port does, so fail to charge fast enough to keep up when the tablets are in use, and only very slowly even when shut down.  Sad
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I was surprised at the difference a third party USB cable can make.
I have cables that provide fast charge but no data connection when plugged into my PC
Cables that only allow a slow charge but a data connection and more recently...
A cable that allows a data connection and a high charge rate Cool
The cables are now marked up according to their relative merits Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JayG
Pro

Cheesy  Undecided  Cheesy
Hmmm - I've been using the longer cable which came with the in-car charger kit because the one that came with the Hudl is somewhat deficient in the length department!  Shocked Perhaps it's time to try it again, and with both chargers, to see if it makes a difference, although most of the contributors to the linked external thread seem to think there definitely is a firmware problem, if only for some users.
After all my trials and tribulations on the 'ADSL' board which were all about what happened when I acquired a TG582n so I could use my Hudl 2, my head is just about done in now!  Cool
JayG
Pro

More experimentation today despite having far more urgent things to do!  Shocked
Hudl 2 charges 'properly' using the charger and cable supplied with the device whether switched on or powered down, and also using the OE charger with the long USB extension cable supplied with the in-car/mains charger kit.
What don't work properly are 1) the in-car adapter, and 2) the mains charger unit which comes with it - until I find out otherwise I recommend avoiding this piece of kit, even though it was sold by Tesco Direct and bears the Hudl logo (it's currently shown as unavailable, so won't be too difficult to avoid - I have to suspect it isn't compatible with the Hudl 2 even though there is nothing in the blurb to suggest otherwise, and the rated output of the mains charger appears to be 'OK' for it.)
Is there actually a Hudl 2 firmware glitch? Possibly not, but never say never.  Roll_eyes
Merry Christmas to all, especially those presented with a new Hudl!  Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm sat in bed now charging and using my HUDL2  Cheesy
Merry Christmas @JayG
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
JayG
Pro

Just to confirm that although the Tesco Direct in-car charger and accompanying mains charger both carry the Hudl logo, are rated at 2A output, and are described as 'also compatible with hudl2 products', neither of them charge my Hudl2 properly, although both USB leads in the kit do work fine with the OE charger.
Luckily there are currently still no sellers for it!  Roll_eyes
THIS article tries to shed some light on the vexed question of what charger works with what device, although you may be none the wiser after reading it.  Wink
As an aside, I treated my Hudl 2 to a 32GB micro SD card to help out its rather diminished internal memory, and to cut a long story short and to save other people's time and possibly money, you cannot transfer apps to the SD card, nor can you get existing apps to store their data on the SD card.
All you can do is move picture, video and music files to it using a downloaded file manager app, or by connecting to a PC, which does seem to make the memory card considerably less useful than I originally thought it would be, especially when it comes to BBC i-player downloads - you can't shift either the programs or the download files from the device memory.  Sad
Please feel free to enlighten me if you have managed to achieve what I have so far failed to do.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The app2sd function has been missing in most KK roms. Google removed it and few suppliers actually added it back. Custom rom/rooted device are the only way and at the mo no custom roms for the 2, and rooting is difficult.
The "extend to 32Gb using micro sdcard" is confusing as all you can store, as you say are video/music on them.
JayG
Pro

I contacted Tesco Direct Customer Services via their website on Sunday to point out that their in car/mains chargers weren't fit for purpose as they were both incapable of charging my Hudl 2.
Had a phone call on Monday to say that a refund was being processed even though I hadn't asked for one (they were only £5 and the USB leads were OK.)
She pointed out that the items had been discontinued  and they didn't want them back.  Roll_eyes
We had a brief discussion as to whether they were 'faulty' - I said I thought it very unlikely they were both faulty, just not up to the job they were advertised and sold for.
Just got to find an in-car charger now that does actually deliver the 2A the Hudl requires - Googling suggests that these aren't the only chargers around which don't do what it says on the tin.  Sad
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You could try this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MICRO-USB-POWER-CAR-TRAVEL-CHARGER-FOR-TESCO-HUDL-7-8-3-HUDL2-TABLET-/...
no personal connection or usage.... but... it is a UK seller... and 14 days return is acceptable,  *(buyer pays postage)...
for £1.75 got to be worth a punt . ! 
OR... you could contact them first and ask them directly if it is suitable and WILL charge the HUDL ...
JayG
Pro

Quote from: shutter
OR... you could contact them first and ask them directly if it is suitable and WILL charge the HUDL ...

Thanks for the suggestion - I will ask the question (choosing a charger which not only says it outputs 2A but is also prepared to do so for a Hudl 2 is not as straightforward as I originally thought!  ::))
HairyMcbiker
All Star

From my trawling, I have found the "high" charge secret (maybe), the micro usb has a 5th pin normally unused, if it is connected then the device thinks the power is 2A rather than 500mA.
This explains why the hudl cable works on the chargers but not the supplied cable.
Might be total baloney but ...
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As I've mentioned before I have various micro USB cables.
When fed by a 2 amp supply the cables offer various amps into my phone between 320ma and 1 amp.
I have them marked up so I can pick a 1 amp one for charging the phone.
I have one labelled Data Transfer Only by the manufacturer as it doesn't pass a charging current to the phone.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine