Did you mean: 

Hudl 2 charging problems?

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Hudl 2 charging problems?

Quote from: JayG
Quote from: shutter
OR... you could contact them first and ask them directly if it is suitable and WILL charge the HUDL ...

Thanks for the suggestion - I will ask the question (choosing a charger which not only says it outputs 2A but is also prepared to do so for a Hudl 2 is not as straightforward as I originally thought!   ::))

I've just put the question to the e-bay seller (Strat & HM - the new Tesco Direct USB cables both work fine with the OE charger, it's the Tesco Direct in-car and mains charger units themselves which don't work whichever cable I use.)
JayG
Pro

E-bay seller didn't reply to my query, so they either don't know whether or not it will charge a Hudl, or their product is in the same category as those from many other sellers who don't seem to realise that the Hudl requires a minimum of 2A to charge at full speed, and that Apple devices appear to have different requirements from others, even though one USB socket looks much the same as another.  Roll_eyes
I've ordered THIS one which I will use with my OE connecting cable - hopefully it will be up to the task - I'll let you know.  Wink
JayG
Pro

Today I finally got to literally test drive the in-car charger linked to in my previous post - it had no trouble keeping my Hudl 2 at 100% charge even with GPS on and the screen permanently illuminated.
The leaflet which came with it refers to the two USB ports as being for 'Apple' and 'Other' protocols, so at least one manufacturer appears to have realised that chargers with an output of 1A (or less) will not do the business for a Hudl, and that not all devices are equal in other respects either.
As Strat has already mentioned, the connecting cable itself can make a difference - probably best to use the OE cable, although in this instance the longer one supplied with the feeble Tesco Direct charger worked fine.  Smiley