Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One WAN Ping / ICMP

matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hub One WAN Ping / ICMP

Tried a search and couldn't find any information on this (which leads me to believe it isn't possible). Has anyone managed to configure the Hub One to respond to ping / ICMP requests on the public IP address without setting up a DMZ?
7 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 56

Re: Hub One WAN Ping / ICMP

It is not possible to set the Hub One to respond to pings on its public IP.  Sad
jstallan
Grafter

I was also disappointed not to see an option on the router to configure this as I use the Thinkbroadband Quality Monitor to help diagnose 'moans and groans' from the family when the internet plays up (normally when I'm away from home).

I've found by adding a device (e.g Amazon Fire TV device) to the DMZ allows the TQM to generate stats on it's graph. Early days yet as to how reliable they are but at least it's a start - otherwise I need different hardware.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

@jstallan that's a fantastic idea!

I'm now trying it with a Now TV box...

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
jstallan
Grafter

So here's my view for today. Changed over to the Hub One just before midday (notice the RED). Things are a bit lively following the change over but let's see how things pan out overnight.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 77

I use a Raspberry Pi in the DMZ for Hub One monitoring. Requires a small amount of configuring to respond to the ICMP echoes and it's wise to use iptables or similar to block all the unwanted stuff.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

I put my Now TV box into the DMZ and set up a TBB Quality monitor and the first thing I noticed was pretty bad packet loss.

After some digging around it turned out that the packet loss was at pcl-ag07, the gateway I was connected to.

See if you can spot when I hopped onto the ptn-bng01 gateway...

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
jstallan
Grafter

Seems people have now found a way of getting stats outs of BQM...    For me they aren't as accurate as I was previously getting but way better that I originally experienced with the PlusNet Hub One...  Viva Le DMZ Grin