Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei WS320 Wireless repeater

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

Re: Huawei WS320 Wireless repeater

@bobw1943 

On the Hub two have you checked to see of the ws320 has been allocated an IP Address?

http://192.168.1.254/basic_-_my_devices.htm click on Wireless connections

bobw1943
Grafter

I cannot see the SSID "Repeater" in the list, neither can I find the WS320 MAC address among those devices listed as "unknown".

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would disconnect the wired connection and just connect the PC to the SSID of the WS320 ("Repeater" ? and make sure the WS320 isn't connected to the hub 2) and then try to access the WS320's user interface, then reconfigure it with a new IP address that you can access from your LAN and doesn't clash with something else...  once it has a IP address that plays nicely on your LAN you can connect the ws320 and pc to your HUB 2 router again.

@MisterW knows more about this than I do, so would defer to his approach/instructions....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I cannot see the SSID "Repeater" in the list, neither can I find the WS320 MAC address among those devices listed as "unknown".

That's fairly conclusive that the repeater isnt connected to the Hub.

MisterW knows more about this than I do, so would defer to his approach/instructions....

Problem is I'm not at all familiar with the WS320 so am uncertain how it actually works. It would SEEM that it connects as a wireless client to the main router and then bridges? that connection to its own wireless network. What I'm not clear on is what it has as an IP address ? It would seem that when its not connected to a router it has the 192.168.10.254 address and so can be configured with a locally connected PC with a static IP in the same subnet. What is not clear is what IP it has when its connected to a router ? I would 'guess' that it gets an IP from the router via DHCP and would respond on that.

If that's the case then when its connected it SHOULD appear in the Hub2 device list.

Now it would seem that the repeater is only 2.4ghz so I wonder if the dual band same SSID functionality of the HUb 2 is confusing it. I'd be inclined to try disabling the 5ghz wireless on the Hub 2 and seeing if the repeater now connects ( confirming by checking the Hub 2 device list ). If that works, then reenable the 5ghz and check that it stays connected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Looking at the first link @MisterW provided it says:

You need to access the advanced configuration webpage through the wireless
network of the WS320. To log in to the advanced configuration webpage, you can
also do as follows:

When the WS320 Is Not Connected to the Wireless Router

Step 1
Set up a wireless connection between the PC and the WS320.
When the WS320 is not connected to the wireless router: The SSID of
the wireless network to be connected is Repeater.
When the WS320 is connected to the wireless router: The SSID of the
wireless network of your PC is the same as that of the wireless network
of the wireless router.
Step 2
Set the network connection of the PC and ensure that the IP address of the
PC is in the same network segment as the IP address of the WS320 local
area network (LAN) interface.
By default, the IP address of the WS320 LAN interface is 192.168.1.254
and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. If the IP address of the LAN
interface is not changed, you can set the IP address and subnet mask of the
PC to 192.168.1.101 and 255.255.255.0 respectively.
When the WS320 is not connected to the wireless router, you can
configure the network connection of the PC to obtain an IP address

So if it were me I would make sure the WS320 isn't connected to the router - so it's SSID will be "Repeater".  Connect to that WiFi network and check how the WS320 is configured... if it has a default IP address of 192.168.1.254 then you'll need to change it so that it doesn't clash with the router's internet gateway address.
The 2nd link from MisterW on the same page says "By default, the IP address of the WS320 LAN interface is 192.168.10.254" but both say you need to disconnect the WS320 from the Hub 2 (Router) to get access to the SSID "Repeater" and the WS320's configuration....
It implies that when the WS320 is connected to the HUB 2 then it will repeat the same SSID as the Hub 2 and the SSID "Repeater" isn't visible ... trouble is neither MisterW or I have a device to try it out on and have found two somewhat conflicting user manuals... sorry
bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on this. I'm disinclined to persevere any further trying to solve the problem since I have a horror of getting into something far beyond my own understanding. In the past my efforts have often caused more problems than I set out to solve Smiley