cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How use Apple HomeKit enabled routers (e.g. Linksys Velop) with PlusNet

JohnWoodgate

How use Apple HomeKit enabled routers (e.g. Linksys Velop) with PlusNet

After moving to PlusNet, I am looking to install an Apple HomeKit enabled mesh router (e.g. Linksys Velop AX4200) within the house. After a little research it appears that this is not as easy as I had hoped as double NATing cannot be avoided using the the PlusNet hub. Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this? One answer seems to be buying a suitable model and nit using the PlusNet Hub. If this is the only option, can anyone recommended a suitable modem for a telephone line please? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: How use Apple HomeKit enabled routers (e.g. Linksys Velop) with PlusNet

Which Plusnet router do you have ? If it's the Hub Two then it CAN be switched to modem only (bridge) mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

From what I can establish, you have a Plusnet Hub Two?

The Hub Two can be put into Bridge Mode which will make it act exactly the same as a dedicated VDSL modem.

Edit: I type too slow Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JohnWoodgate

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have the PlusNet Hub 2. So there should be no issue with adding a HomeKit enabled mesh router i.e. the Velop AX4200.     

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@JohnWoodgate 

Is this a question? Bridge mode has to be enabled on the Hub 2. Log in to the hub by entering 192.168.1.254 into the address field of your web browser. Select Advanced Settings then Broadband. At the bottom of the page under Bridging, select Yes. The light on the front should turn to pink.

Use one of the LAN ports (NOT the WAN one) to connect the Hub 2 to your new router. Set you new router protocol to PPPoE. Enter your Plusnet account username followed by @plusdsl.net i.e. <username>@plusdsl.net and account password in to the new router. account page.

Come back if you have a problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JohnWoodgate

Brilliant. Thanks for the solution. I'm confident to buy the new routers now and put this into action. Thanks. Really appreciated.