cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you attach an Asus ZenWiFi AX to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra.

FIXED
BrianS-01
Fixes: 1

How do you attach an Asus ZenWiFi AX to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra.

I have just taken ownership of an Asus ZenWiFi AX mesh router to eliminate blind spots at home, as it dose not have an internal modem only a WAN port. How should I connect the Asus to the internet, 1. put the existing Plusnet Hub One into bridge or access point mode or 2. purchase a vanilla dsl modem (no router component). If the latter can you recommend a suitable modem that complies to Plusnet specifications. If the former what is the best way to configure my Plusnet Hum One. Thanks for any assistance.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: How do you attach an Asus ZenWiFi AX to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra.

The Hub one does cannot be configured in bridge mode.

Yes, you could purchase a vanilla modem but the simplest option is with what you already have:-

Set the ZenWifi in access point mode,turn the wifi off on the Hub one and connect the Zenwifi WAN port to a LAN port on the Hub one. 

Job done...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BrianS-01

Fix

Thanks for the info, will reconfigure this weekend and will post the results. 
Regards Brian.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BrianS-01

Results of weekends work. Connected the Asus to a land port on the Hub One (powered on and active) then powered on the two Asus modules which went through their setup program’s without a hitch. At this stage the Hub One still had the 2.4 & 5G WiFi’s active also the Asus had active WiFi. Set the Asus to Access Point mode: from Home screen -> Settings -> System Settings -> Operation Mode set to Access Point from Router. On the Hub One disabled the WiFi, Internet connection made through the Asus and updated the Asus to the latest level. All working with full house coverage. As we have about 100 meters of copper to the fibre connection our broadband speeds are  bit down at approx 57 Mb/s & 10 Mb/s measured through the WiFi.

Thanks again for your help and hope this helps others.

moocifer

I thought I had set this thing up but:

What does a "green" light mean ?Huh

Why can't I access "http://router.asus.com" at all ?Huh

Is the above website where I should set the first box (connected via a cable to the PlusNet router) to Access Point mode ?Huh

Any, and by any, I mean lots of help would be greatly appreciated ..

moocifer

Nevermind, frustrations over.

All sorted and working great.  Asus could really do with improving their How to/Support pages though ..

Bazarooney
Hooked

I have just received my Zenwifi but am having problems setting it up. Connected to red port on Hub One and switched off the WiFi on the hub one. Ran the app on my phone but it fails when it gets to the stage when it tries to detect the internet status. Ran it several times but no luck. Onside ring whether to buy a modem but if I can get it to work with Hub would be preferable. Did you get a stable mesh? If so can you talk me through what you did? Thanks
moocifer

"Connected to red port on Hub One and switched off the WiFi on the hub one. "

You don't use the WAN port on your PlusNet Hub, just on the Asus AX mesh router.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Connected to red port on Hub One 

That's not going to work. The only way you can get it to work with a Hub one, is to switch the ZenWifi to Access point Mode and then connect its WAN port to a LAN port on the Hub One.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bazarooney
Hooked

Thanks for your suggestions. Have it up and running now. However I didn’t switch to access point mode and it seems to be working fine. Do I need to do this, what are the advantages if it is working without.?