Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Spot

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Hot Spot

@shutter 

That's good news. Have you tried seeing if you can run the manufacturers SSD monitoring app on your machine?

I have had another look at mine. I have 2 SSDs, both M.2 drives so I would expect your 2.5" SATA drive to run a bit cooler. The System disk, a 500GB Western Digital Black, ticks over at 44°C. The Data disk, a 1TB Crucial one is at 36°C.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Baldrick1  Sorry for delay.... no, I have not !. don`t know anything about that. Undecided

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try installing package gsmartcontrol.

GSmartControl is a graphical user interface for smartctl, which is a tool for
querying and controlling SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting
Technology) data on modern hard disk drives. It allows you to inspect the
drive's SMART data to determine its health, as well as run various tests on it.

Screenshot.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard 

Well.... that was a load of fun !

After the "install"   ( sudo apt install gsmartcontrol )

gerry@gerry-GL752VW:~$ gsmartcontrol
<error> [gtk] _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation gvfs (GDaemonVfs) for ‘gio-vfs’
<error> [gtk] setenv()/putenv() are not thread-safe and should not be used after threads are created
<error> [gtk] posix_spawn avoided (workdir specified) (fd close requested)
<error> [gtk] setenv()/putenv() are not thread-safe and should not be used after threads are created
<warn>  [hz] Warning: exit: Device open failed, or device did not return an IDENTIFY DEVICE structure.
<warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_section_info(): Unknown Info line encountered.
<warn>  [hz] Warning: exit: Device open failed, or device did not return an IDENTIFY DEVICE structure.
<warn>  [app] SmartctlParser::parse_full(): No ATA sections could be parsed. Returning.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
gerry@gerry-GL752VW:~$

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@shutter You don’t need that package. Just use “Disks” from the control centre. Select the drive on the left and click the three dot button top right (top bar, middle right really) and select SMART tests and info.
That's RPM to you!!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

gsmartcontrol is intended to work in a GUI environment - which it does (at least for me).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley  Thanks for that....  looks like the 250GB ssd is doing ok !   running this one to make sure I haven`t missed something in the re-install/transfer of files and folders, before replacing it with the original 2TB SSD, and then cloning the 250GB to it.

ssd SMART test results 001.png