cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide: How to use the Technicolor TG582N to share ANY printer via your network

Tarik
Hooked

Re: Guide: How to use the Technicolor TG582N to share ANY printer via your network

I have tried to follow these instructions but fall over at the first step.  I have downloaded Putty and attempted to telnet to 192.168.1.253 port 22 but get a connection refused response.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to turn something on in the router admin pages first?
GG
Grafter

Re: Guide: How to use the Technicolor TG582N to share ANY printer via your network

Regarding printers and USB hubs on a network...
I have a Belkin USB hub with two printers and a HDD Caddy connected. ALL computers are able to connect to the printers and HDD caddy, wirelessly or wired. All aspects of the printers work, including ink levels and if an all-in-one, the scanner side works as well. You do need the printer software on each computer you want to use it with though.
I had to use additional software (SX Virtual Link) for the network USB hub though, but that is purely a hub recognition issue with the factory software and is a well known one at that.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Please could you clarify. Is the Belkin a network hub that connects to the router via ethernet, or is it a straightforward usb hub that connects to the usb port on the TG582n?
If the former, do you experience any sharing issues with multiple devices accessing printers or data stores at the same time?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
GG
Grafter

The belkin is a USB hub connected via ethernet.
Simply put, I can connect to each device via ethernet. Only one machine can connect to any of the connected devices at any one time, though up to five computers could, theoretically, connect to one of the five connected devices at the same time.
I simply connect to the printer when I need to, print the document, then disconnect. It serves my needs well enough and is a relatively cheap solution to the issue.
Either that, or spend out on a network printer....
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Tarik
attempted to telnet to 192.168.1.253 port 22 but get a connection refused response.  What am I doing wrong?

Telnet is port 23. In putty, if you change the connection type to telnet, it should change the port to 23 automatically.
dparnell

Thanks for the advice. I bought a cheap USB hub from Argos and it worked fine once I reformatted the drive to fat32.  
Two downsides are the limitation of fat32 and large files means I cannot store HD movies on it; and there is no security on the files that I can find, so anyone on my network could acces or even delete content.
Dave
GG
Grafter

Fat32? I have/had NTFS hdd's and XDHC SD cards connected to my Network USB hub without any problems.
As for access, try password protecting a directory (folder of files) as that will stop casual attempts at access to the files within.
Tarik
Hooked

Quote from: ejs

Telnet is port 23. In putty, if you change the connection type to telnet, it should change the port to 23 automatically.

I also tried that but it does not work either.  Still get connection refused.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Did you try the correct IP address? 192.168.1.254 is the default IP address of the 582n router, which you need to access to make config changes.
Tarik
Hooked

Ok.  I substituted .254 everywhere in the original instructions where .253 was shown and also used port 23 instead of 22.  Corrected the typo in the queue name.
All instructions seemed to be accepted and the queue is listed.  I ran through the PC part of adding the printer and have an entry but a test page will not print.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Sorry, 192.168.1.253 is the correct IP address for the shared printer, to be entered when adding the network printer in Windows and other systems.
192.168.1.254 is for the router itself.
192.168.1.253 is for accessing shared printers, files, media.
dparnell

Quote from: GG
Fat32? I have/had NTFS hdd's and XDHC SD cards connected to my Network USB hub without any problems.
As for access, try password protecting a directory (folder of files) as that will stop casual attempts at access to the files within.

Thanks for the comments. Do you share the NTFS drive using the inbuilt media server? This didn't recognise the drive when I tried, so reverted to fat32.
Dave
GG
Grafter

No. Not using media server.
The belkin USB hub is recognised by all PC's on my home network so there is no issue of access. The only "issue" if you can call it that, is the fact that only one PC can connect to "USB drive A" at a time, but with 5 ports, that represents a small niggle, nothing more.
Oher than that, my NAS has Password protected directories and has a built in media server.
All way off the OT, but for the fact my all-in-one printers connect to the USB hub!