cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google search redirects to router login

kanda
Grafter

Google search redirects to router login

Clicking on a Google search result which should have taken me to a sourceforge.net page brought me to the Technicolor router login several times before the problem cleared itself. I have never experienced this before on my own, older Netgear router and another Google search on the redirect suggested that DNS settings might be to blame. The DNS settings on the box are presently as follows;
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Obviously DNS settings can be altered to suit the end user, but, as a new Plusnet user, are these standard, as Plusnet don't seem to make any recommendations for DNS, and could they have caused the redirect?
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Google search redirects to router login

This is probably caused by Plusnet's DNS servers being intermittently very slow again this evening, which triggers the "web browsing interception" feature of the technicolor router, which is supposed to redirect you to the router login page when your Internet connection is down.
Possible workarounds:
1. Disable web browsing interception; or
2. Change DNS settings - either just pick some other public DNS servers, or reconfigure things to not have the router as the dns server: http://npr.me.uk/changedns.html
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: kanda
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
… are these standard, as Plusnet don't seem to make any recommendations for DNS, …?

Yes those are standard settings for Plusnet DNS. Recommended settings are given in the Member Centre Connection Settings page. What is shown on that page might be a different pair, but if so load balancing makes changing from what you have unnecessary.
David
kanda
Grafter

Thanks both.
Quote from: spraxyt
Yes those are standard settings for Plusnet DNS. Recommended settings are given in the Member Centre Connection Settings page. What is shown on that page might be a different pair, but if so load balancing makes changing from what you have unnecessary.

Yes, spraxyt, you're right, the Member Centre brings up the following settings
Primary DNS Server  212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server  212.159.13.50
Optional tertiary DNS server  212.159.6.9

On an slightly unrelated note I see that my IP address is assigned dynamically. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but my previous ISP (who charged a small premium for a fixed ISP) said the same but never changed it in all the time I was with them Lips_are_sealed
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can have a static IP address for a one-off fee. In that case, the IP address will still be assigned dynamically (via the IPCP / PPP protocol), and you will be assigned the same IP address each time.