cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FortiClient - Connection Error! "Host name could not be resolved."

FIXED
tpw

FortiClient - Connection Error! "Host name could not be resolved."

Hi there, seems a lot of people are having VPN issues. Was told by my work that the issue is a DNS one and the problem lies with the ISP, but when I called Plusnet and eventually got through, I was told it had nothing to do with them and to check here!

Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it? First day on a new job, and haven't been able to do any work at all.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FortiClient - Connection Error! "Host name could not be resolved."

My lot use forticlient - worked fine through plusnet..... once I had the correct password in forticlient.
I've no idea what password or how to do it 'cos IT sorted it out. 🙂
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@tpw What is the hostname that cannot be resolved ?

Do you have Safeguard enabled ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tpw

Hi MisterW, tbh I don't even know what hostname means! I don't have safeguard enabled.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@tpw I'm assuming in this case it's the url of the vpn server that you're trying to connect to.

edit: it might be called 'remote gateway' in Forticlient

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tpw

I'm connected, was the fault of the IT guys. They put : instead of . in the address. Thanks @MisterW it was you explaining url that had me thinking the IP they had given me looked strange.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@tpw that's good to hear. In my experience there are SOME good IT people in some organisations. The problem with VPN is that for most of the IT personnel its easier just to blame the users ISP than to investigate in more detail why the VPN isnt working.