cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 3.6.13 Tools/Downloads

colintivy
Rising Star

Re: Firefox 3.6.13 Tools/Downloads

OK I am back! you have had a bit of peace.
When I created sda3 I formatted it to ext3 in anticipation of the original stuff in /home within sda1 in 8.04 which was also ext3. That may have been a wrong move. The present partitions are now as shown back a bit.
            i.e. sda1 / ext3    There is an empty /home in here plus all the normal stuff.
                  sda2  swap
                  sda3 /home ext3  This /home is the one from 8.04 via 9.10
Much as you recommend but mine will have to be amended.
Can I correct what is now in the label for sda3 about /home and ext3 ? When I download a copy of 10.04.2 (recommended source please) I presume that I will have to reformat sda1 to ext3 to clear it out first, then try to find the method of nominating sda3 as /home for sda1. Then try to install from the CD. I hope that is in the right order.
Retire to easy chair and a pint to recover.
  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Right.
Ignore ext3/ext4 differences Stay with ext3 for now.
Quote from: colintivy
Can I correct what is now in the label for sda3 about /home and ext3 ? When I download a copy of 10.04.2 (recommended source please) I presume that I will have to reformat sda1 to ext3 to clear it out first, then try to find the method of nominating sda3 as /home for sda1. Then try to install from the CD. I hope that is in the right order.

Just go to the Ubuntu home page and select downloads (Don't use it myself but it will be there somewhere probably just labelled 10.04 LTS)
Then follow the instructions from before - you don't need to format/delete ANYTHING before hand.
Choose Install
When offered choose CUSTOM PARTITIONS
Set up partitions as :-
            partition    mount point  type    format
Choose  sda1                  /          ext3    YES
choose    sda2            swap                  YES
choose  sda3            /home      ext3    NO
Then it will use your existing home folders and clean the / partition.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks HB & Jeremy, that all looks fine, I have looked at the link and 10.04LTS is available from it. I was worried that formatting sda3 to ext3 in the first place was cocking the whole issue up. Even thought of the possibility of creating sda4, not formatting it and trying to transfer the contents of sda3 into it and then scrubbing sda3...probably not sensible from what you recommend. Because it will be an install rather than an update this time, it should ask me for user-name and password this time and avoid my difficulty.
Cannot do all this now, charity lunch to attend, but may try this afternoon.
  Cheesy  Cheesy
colintivy
Rising Star

In case of trouble I have ordered 10.04.2 Desktop CD from Linux Store at £5. It is worth it at my download speed. Hope that I will give you the good news before long.
  Cheesy Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero

Is it all working now?
I have a couple of extra things for you that are worth doing...

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jeremy,
Got my nice new 10.04.2 disk at last. Been busy this week with a RAFA AGM and a Branch meeting to cope with (I am local Chairman for my sins). Also it is fine enough for a spot of the beginning of garden agriculture i.e. grass-cutting, bush trimming etc., all takes time.
I am trying to copy the contents of sda3 /home to a couple of thumb drives as two editions of a bang up-to-date back-up. I have tried to copy from file browser but it throws up some permissions denied & stops. I seem to remember many posts ago letting me use "sudo nautilus  /  " to give me root privileges which ought to deal with this, I have not hit upon the right file address to use so far to make it work. What is the right mantra?
I will be very interested in the couple of things are when I get a bit further.
Regards,
C.  
PS:  My sda1 with the upgraded 10.04.2 put a /home in it which does not contain any of my data in it, largely folders named but empty. Will the new install put one in it or will the presence of the unformatted sda3 labelled /home put it off? or do I have to delete it before going further?Huh
VileReynard
Hero

Starting with the P.S.
Provided that you are doing a MANUAL install and that you decline any offers to use sda4, nothing will be written to it.
I would use gparted from the CD to delete it - just before you do your reinstall.
Don't delete sda4 until just before you are ready to proceed with a reinstall.
Currently, Ubuntu thinks /home is sitting in sda4 - but it's actually in sda3
So you need to mount /sda3 manually - to do this:-
sudo mkdir /media/HOME3
(Do this only once, as this will remain until you overwrite your / directory).
Each time you boot your PC (and want access to sda3)
sudo mount /dev/sda3  /media/HOME3

Then do any file operations against the /media/HOME3 directory - such as
sudo nautilus /media/HOME3

Note that when you access or change /media/HOME3 you are actually accessing sda3.
Before you shut down, don't forget to unmount sudo /media/HOME3 using
sudo umount /media/HOME3

Note that the unmounting command is spelt as umount

colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Jeremy,
That looks comprehensive. Two points: I see your mention of sda4, do I take it that the install might want to put this in unless I say otherwise ? In which case, where in the installation does this appear? I would guess that would be within the Partitioning preamble (not seen during 9.10 install).
                                                         At present I can access sda3 easily because it appears as a separate drive in Places and mounts as soon as I click on its entry. It then comes up on desktop and a click opens its contents like any other folder. When the installation is complete and sda3 is not formatted, I assumed that it would be treated as the only /home in the system with subsequent usage carried on alongside. In this way the data, old and new is retained after subsequent new installs which, I thought, was the purpose of having the separate partition. Perhaps I have got it wrong??? I had intended to copy the old /home to sda3 (unformatted) from the copy back-up. If I clean out sd completely I would then be able to construct a new sda3 as well as sda1 & 2 labelling them appropriately.
I take it that you agree that sudo nautilus (properly addressed) will allow me to copy all the /home data to my thumb drives. I wondered if it was a bit late in the day to do this. Once I have the copies completed and verified I could then proceed with the installation I suppose.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

As long as you don't DELETE any partitions and choose the CUSTOM Partitioning then sda3 as /home (NO FORMAT) etc then all will well. When you boot into the new OS the sda3 will appear as /home and all the data will be in it. IF you delete any partitions before you do this you run the risk of loosing the data on sda3 - not a good idea.
I personally install this way, I have upgraded (via fresh installs) the last 3 versions of Mint, keeping my ./home partition with all my data on it (I also keep /etc backed up for the additional repo's I have and to get my network drives re-installed in to fstab after an install, etc)
VileReynard
Hero

Glad to hear you can access sda3 more easily!
During the install, you tell Ubuntu sda3 is /home - but you must not format it.
Since Ubuntu sees sda4 it will ask what you want to do with it.
When you use nautilus, set it to show hidden files and you should see loads of directories and files that begin with a dot.
You should see quite a few of these in sda4 too.
These small hidden files are used to hold things such as your personal preferences etc.
After the install, if you try to use a 9.10 /home in a 10.04 install (which will have a few different programs), you may get some strange behaviour.
However, if you tell the new install what actual /home (with the data) it will be using, it can update some of the important files in there;
it will also construct the correct /etc/fstab file so that sda3 gets mounted at boot time etc.
Please do not copy old versions of /home around in their entirety, unless something disastrous has happened.
Keep old backups of /home on a separate USB drive - multiple /homes on one disk will cause confusion - especially if they are different versions.

colintivy
Rising Star

@HB
Thanks for that. Can I assume that sda3 will be cleared of its existing format (ext3) by using the Partitioning and labelling as /home without losing the data contents?
@jeremy
I have attempted to copy the present /home on sda3 to my thumb drives but, despite trying to use root status with nautilus, I still get permissions denied errors specifically with  files .dbus & colin, the latter being the folder with all my data in it. It is all very strange.
I am intrigued with the new partition for sda4 arising from the install, does this indicate that 10.04.2 actually expects to have a separate partition for /home in the normal way instead of the fuss of setting one up for the purpose and it labels it sda4 because there is an sda3 already?
VileReynard
Hero

It would seem that you told it to use free space (i.e. sda4) for /home, instead of sda3.
DON'T clear sda3, DON'T format sda3, just say use sda3 in it's present condition as /home.
If you format a partition, then you will wipe it of all it's data.
You should not need to restore any backups.
Because you are signed in as user collin, a few files are in use and locked out - .dbus is O.K., you can ignore that.
However your home directory is /home/collin do you have a /home/collin/collin directory?
Why not just copy the /home directory to your USB drive - that will copy all data?
Ubuntu doesn't need a sda4 partition - although it will use it, if you tell it to.
It only used a separate partition for an empty /home because you told it to create one.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: colintivy
@HB
Thanks for that. Can I assume that sda3 will be cleared of its existing format (ext3) by using the Partitioning and labelling as /home without losing the data contents?

Unless you tell it to FORMAT it it will be left as is i.e. NO FORMAT NO LOSS OF DATA.
See <a href=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92078.msg788718.html#msg788718>here</a>
dick:green Quote tag fixed.
colintivy
Rising Star

@HB    Thanks.