cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows and Ubuntu fail to run

Mav
Fixes: 514

Windows and Ubuntu fail to run

Not sure if this could be a hardware problem...
After taking out a failing PATA 80GB HDD Windows 7 64 bit failed to start. It got as far as the Starting WIndows screen but the logo never appeared. On next boot I was offered the chance to 'Repair' or start normally. I chose repair and after another reboot all seemed ok.
I then closed the case, connected everything up and booted up. I then got the same error as above except that choosing repair gets as far as the white bar going all the way across while 'windows is loading files...' is displayed then nothing - no flicker of HDD lights either..
I have checked cables, made sure all connectors, RAM, Graphics, etc are seated correctly and I have disconnected all but the boot drive and still the same issue.
I tried running Ubuntu from CD. The memory test runs (cancelled after a few minutes as I just wanted to make sure something would run). But when I select Run from CD the screen goes black with just an underscore flashing in the top left-hand corner. No lights on the CD at this point. I have disconnected all HDD drives and tried again but always the same.
I am now stuck as to what may be wrong or where else to look to solve this. Any ideas, please?
Edit: Forgpot to say that I have booted with the Windows 7 disc inserted but I get the same problem when dispolaying 'windows is loading files...'

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Windows and Ubuntu fail to run

I would let the mem test run for at least several hours. Or disconnect the hdd and try booting the ubuntu cd again (then it will not try to read the M$ install)
Mav

I allowed the memtest to run for over 4 hours without any issues and have tried booting the Ubuntu disc without any HDDs connected all with the same problem Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What about the jumper settings for master / slave on any remaining PATA drives? One might need to be changed if the removed drive was a master.
Mav

There were two PATAs and the remaining one was slave but I did set it to master.
But that shouldn't have an effect when all HDDs have been disconnected yet Ubuntu still fails to run.
I'm making the assumption that as the memtest ran OK then that rules aout an issue with the MM, processor and graphics?
Edit: Used the same CD to run Ubuntu on the laptop and also checked it's integrity and the CD is OK.

Mav

I took the PC to the local shop who re-installed W7 64 without a hitch but they did reset the BIOS first.
Now I think I know what is causing the issues...
When I got home there was one SATA drive not showing. I remembered that SATA ports 5 & 6 must be set to ACHI as per ACHI thread.
Setting this up again in the BIOS caused no end of boot (reboot) issues so I re-installed W7 (reformatting HDD) again after setting ACHI. The first time something must have gone wrong as it failed to boot a BSOD which was seen for barely half a second before starting up again.
Re-installed W7 a second time and all seems fine now and can see all hard drives. Gradually installing all drivers, security, etc. and will post back how things go.
If it starts crashing or refusing to boot again I may just have to get a PCI Express SATA card.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Somewhere in your BIOS is a setting that defines which hard drive is the first choice boot drive.  This hard drive will contain your boot sector even if the actual operating systems are located on other hard drives.  Removing this hard drive will cause boot problems (or a complete failure to boot).
For example, my computer has two hard drives which I will call 1 and 2.  I have Windows 7 installed on 1 and Windows XP installed on 2.  Each OS was installed when the other drive was not present so each drive has its own boot sector.  Thus if I choose to boot from drive 1 then Windows 7 is loaded and if I choose to boot from drive 2 then Windows XP is loaded.  However I subsequently used some utility software called BCDedit to modify the boot sector on drive 1 so I can now boot from that drive and choose an option to load Windows XP (on drive 2).
This may not be relevant to your problems but it's a good idea to be aware of what part each hard drive plays in the boot process.       
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mav
There were two PATAs and the remaining one was slave but I did set it to master.

Did you also change the plug on the cable that was plugged into it? - IDE cables have a master and slave plug.. the Master being the end one and the slave being the inner one.
To be honest it sounds to me like your winblows system had partially installed itself on your other drive. I've had this happen before and once you tinker with the hardware it breaks the entire thing and no amount of putting it right will get it to boot again.
It does however seem odd that you're having trouble with live CDs too..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mav

Quote from: okrzynska
Did you also change the plug on the cable that was plugged into it? - IDE cables have a master and slave plug.. the Master being the end one and the slave being the inner one.

Yes.
You could be on to something, though...
There were 4 drives left + DVD;
Two drives only used for data and two 500GB drives. I bought a new Seagte on which to install W7 64 but the other one had previously been used for W7 32 bit. I had done a quick format but couldn'r get rid of the 100MB partition left there by the W7 installation.
However, as you say, that doesn't explain why the lice Linux CD failed to work.