Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Image Resizer on Linux Mint 19.1

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Fast Image Resizer on Linux Mint 19.1

I have been using ADION`s Fast Image Resizer for a few years on my WIndows o.s... and it has been invaluable.

I have been converted to Linux Mint 19.1 and use WINE to run various progs that I used on Windows,.. most of which seem to work as well as they did on Windows...

NOTE.....FastImageResizer is not about resizing the actual picture image...

it is about resizing the FILE size..

. e.g. original file size 6.3MB   after resizing may be only a 120Kb or so...  which makes it quicker to upload, and send via email,or on here...

I am sure that , not long after I converted to Linux,.. I downloaded and installed FastImageResizer, ( in june this year was the changeover).. and it worked... however..

in the past couple of days, it has ceased to work...

I have uninstalled it,... downloaded a new copy, and re-installed it,.... given it the correct "open with Wine program loader" permissions, and it reports that there is no windows program to open. ? ?   ? 

yet it is firmly esconsced on my c:/ drive and even shows up under WINE on the Menu listings of all progs .

Anyone any ideas? why this should happen.. ?

The program is very useful from the point of view, that you only need to "drag and drop" whatever image file  you want to resize on to the desktop icon,  image, and within seconds, it is "done"  and shows up in a "subfolder" in the original location folder, called "Resized"...

Is there a Linux alternative  that can do that?

I used the "software manager " to try and find one,... it came up with "imgp"... so I installed that..  but nothing happens when I clicked on the "Launch"  to get the program started...

39 REPLIES 39
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Fast Image Resizer on Linux Mint 19.1

@shutter is this any good to you https://itsfoss.com/resize-images-with-right-click/

Looking at my Ubuntu system , ImageMagick is installed by default , so it's probably in Mint as well. You'd just need to install the nautilus plugin

nb: always assuming Mint uses nautilus as it's file manager...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I usually use GIMP for one-off resizing...

But you could use the imagemagick package.

This is a CLI tool with many possible parameters...

convert original.jpg -resample 150 new.jpg

(This example would change the DPI to 150 per inch) - a big size reduction for my camera which takes pictures at 300dpi.

You could also investigate the -resize options...

See https://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW  & @VileReynard   I use Irfanview, to do most of my cropping, resizing and other work.... what I am looking for is a similar program to FAST IMAGE RESIZER... which... resizes the FILE SIZE... not the actual picture.

So,..for example... I take some pics, with my camera, and download them to the computer,... all are about 6Mb With. FastImageResizer... lurking on the desktop... it is a simple matter of selecting the pics , either singly, or en-mass and dragging and dropping those FILES on to the Icon on the desktop...

As mentioned in the O.P.   within seconds the files are re-sized to about 120 kb... and re-located in a sub folder, entitled Resized... so you keep the original in its original location and have an exact copy, in a smaller file size in the Resize folder.

Gimp and other things, including that Nautilus, refer to the actual IMAGE being reduced in size.. not the FILE size. from what I have understood from the reading of it....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@shutter 

As mentioned in the O.P.   within seconds the files are re-sized to about 120 kb... and re-located in a sub folder, entitled Resized... so you keep the original in its original location and have an exact copy, in a smaller file size in the Resize folder.

and it does that how , by reducing the resolution !. That's  exactly what  imagemagick and nautilus does , and it copies the file and adds .resized to the filename

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

The way I am reading the page, and the things it can do, it refers to the physical size on the screen, rather than the actual file size.... unless , of course, I am misunderstanding what LINUX means by "resizing" ... ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just try it and see. You should only need to install the nautilus addon , assuming nautilus is the file manager in Mint

VileReynard
Hero

Mint automatically creates quite a lot of thumbnails if you use an icon style view in your file manager.

These are only about 40-50KB.

Obviously, you want a thumbnailer program?

An integrated solution would be DigiKam - which keeps your thumbnails and other information in a SQL database. The original images are stored separately.

shutter
Community Veteran

Here is a screenshot of some pic files...

resized files.png

As you can see, the original file is 003.jpg and is 555.8 kb ( probably a crop from the original photo).. but you can see the "Resized" folder has 003 _575x600.jpg and the file size is now 107.2 kb.

Not a great difference on this example... but significant on original photo file size to resized file size..

Here is a copy of 003.jpg  ( as from the original above) .

003.JPG

And here is the Resized FILE version 003

003_575x600.JPG

As you can see,  there is no perceived difference between the two pics... 

For information, the subject, a Rose Bud, was on a rose bush 60 feet away, and I used my Panasonic FZ72 on 60 x optical zoom, with the additional "digital zoom" bringing the maximum zooOOOM to 379 x zoom

hence the grainy pic quality ! .. nothing to do with the resizing of it.

Here is a better quality close up   

Original  013.jpg

013.JPG

Here is the resized version of 013

013_800x595.JPG

VileReynard
Hero

Unfortunately this website is showing both pictures in rubbish resolution.

shutter
Community Veteran

Oh C`mon @VileReynard   I did mention, that the pic was taken at maximum rzOOOOOOOOM.... from 60 feet away... Roll_eyes

so , just for you... i have included a close up of another rose... which has good resolution on both showings of it...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

All that determines the file size of a digital image , is resolution and colour depth. Theres no physical size to the image, you can render it to any size you like on a display or print

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I know.... and it is the FILE size that is resized by FAST IMAGE RESIZER... as previously, and originally explained. by dragging and dropping said file(s) on to the icon on the desktop... job done....

I have installed Nautilus Image Converter... but cannot find it on the Menu... nor does it give an option on right clicking on a image file... so ...

I don`t want to have to open up a program like GIMP or Irfanview, everytime,  and then go through several stages of settings,,to be able to resize a file... nor do I want to be messing around with the terminal instructions route either.

that is counter productive... and ... it seems the way that Linux works.

VileReynard
Hero

So that's a no, then?

You really do need a piece of picture management software that allows you to see thumbnails, previews, keywords, duplicate detection (based on similarity detection), Geographical location etc.

You don't actually need to manually generate to selected locations for separate preservation...

shutter
Community Veteran

NO!   . I don`t need any of that @VileReynard 

All I want to do , is to drag and drop a file, or multiple files from same folder, on to an icon.. and that will then resize the file, and put it into a sub-folder of the original location folder, entitled "Resized"...

Simple enough when I used FAST IMAGE RESIZER... but, as mentioned, it seems to have stopped working on this copy of Linux MInt 19.1.   ....

Maybe a recent update has borked it... but it DID work very well back in June, when I first installed it, as one of my initial installs of Windows type progs, using WINE to open them.