cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP uploading…now getting nothing

Fin50
Dabbler

Re: FTP uploading…now getting nothing

No that was the reply to the post above ...but since I seem to have missed a few question

no the password has not changed ...as I have said previously nothing changed in any of the settings

cameras set to Pasv  ( I presume that is passive) I have changed that to the only other setting PORT ...nothing happens, still the same

Capacity is not full ...still lots of space

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

so back to the original question.
can you upload to FTP successfully from a PC/laptop?

if yes, then your FTP is working correctly.
if yes, then try factory resetting the cameras and setting up withe FTP config again.
does it work? if no then something has changed with regards to the cameras, be it firmware/software or network.
Fin50
Dabbler

can you upload to FTP successfully from a PC/laptop.................yes I have said I can use filezilla and upload to the folders

if yes, then try factory resetting the cameras and setting up withe FTP config again.......done that twice now ..rebooted and did a factory reset also

does it work?................no it does not make one bit of difference

if no then something has changed with regards to the cameras, be it firmware/software or network. ...............nothing has changed , and don't forget this is two different makes of camera, that up until a week ago have been working correctly for over a year using the exact same settings, and also if I use the free site for uploading images  CamaC both camera upload without any issues. So I really can not see why the camera's would be at fault considering this ...and hopefully I have included an image taken from one today from that very site

chenks76
All Star

i would advise you remove that image, unless you have the permission of all the parents of the children to post such an image on a public forum.

something has clearly changed, however it is unlikely that it is plusnet causing the issue as you are able to upload to ftp via other methods (which is all that plusnet can offer support-wise).
you'll need to post the full logs from the cameras when they are attempting to connect to the FTP.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fin50 - First I agree with chenks76 you need to remove that image due to CP laws. Second, the username / password you used to check with filezilla is that the same username and passwords used by the cameras?

If it’s not then do a check using the U/P from the cameras using filezilla this will either work or give you an error. If it works then check the configuration of the camera and make sure they are set to binary mode using PASV FTP. As you can FTP using a U/P from filezilla test the re-configured cameras with those details to see if they work first before using their current U/P assuming they're different.

You might also want to provide the make / model and firmware version of your cameras as these surely have a log of their activity. But they will need to be running for a while as your reset may have deleted any historical information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fin50 - It may be totally unrelated but this may be worth a read.

Fin50
Dabbler

I removed the image though all are my grandchildren so no big issue ...Now to get this simplified for my old brain ....I use the details that plusnet gave me to log into filezilla so ftp.plus.net ...then my username and password, so no not the same as the cameras...no sure what U/P is ?Huh

I am not sure how I would check the actual camera from filezilla do I enter the ip address of the camera where is says host ...then the camera username and then password and the port of that camera Huh

makes are a Foscam FI8904W Outdoor Wireless IP Camera with firm ware 11.35.2.59  Other is a Wansview  and I forget what model as was about 4 years ago I got that, though the firmware is 21. 35.2.43

I cant see any logs other than one that is just about who logged in and when on both cameras and not sure how I would get that from filezilla

oh and running windows 7 not win10

chenks76
All Star

U/P is user/password

your cameras need to be using the same user/password to connect to the FTP as you did with filezilla.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK as the login details of Username and Password a.k.a. (U/P) are different for the cameras you need to try these login details using filezilla. I do not know how Plusnet’s FTP User access is configured but you must having set it up in the first place.

You’re not checking the camera in filezilla just the Username and Password details you have entered into the camera’s configuration to allow it to FTP.

So for example, if the Foscam has a Username of FosCam and a Password of maCsoF then try using them in filezilla to see if you can login and copy a file to the Plusnet FTP. If the details you enter fail you will (or should) get an error message you then need to replace them with the correct information.

You might (should) also try entering the Username and Password details you use in filezilla in to the Cameras to again check to see if they can send in image. You know you can transfer a file to Plusnet using these details so entering them into the camera will be proof positive.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Plusnet require your cameras to give your Plusnet account name & password, so that they can check that you are authorised to write to your web space.

Do the sites which work allow anonymous access?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Fin50
Dabbler

Sorry been away for a few days, Yes I log into the filezilla FTP with my plusnet details as giving on my members page ...ftp.plus.net ...I then enter my plusnet user name and password. From filezilla I can then upload to the directory's there in HTDOCS one called camera the other rear camera. so that part is working fine in filezilla

Cameras also have these same details FTP  host is ftp.plus.net...my username and password for plusnet

is also entered on the cameras control panel, it is here after entering these details that there is a test button, when I press this ..I get "server error"

now if I change the FTP details on the cameras to camc ftp details then do the test button they will both work and get a confirmation message saying all working

so unless the plusnet ftp details have changed and it is now no longer ftp.plus.net ?? my user name for plusnet has not changed nor has my password. I doubt anything has changed since filezilla seems to be able to upload directly to the main folder (htdocs) and any other folder within that one

As already said everything was working fine till a few weeks ago and had been working for years..nothing changed in any of my details

I am really confused.... in my simple logic ..why would the cameras still be able to upload to another server, this would suggest that the cameras must do what they are meant to do and thus working correctly, so the problem must be with the server or plusnet have blocked the cameras ip address

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 'server error' you get from your camera's test page should provide you with more details other than that, as it is ambiguous to say the least. Are there any options to get a better description of the error?

Fin50
Dabbler

No unfortunately nothing more than that is provided

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Fin50 wrote: 

I am really confused.... in my simple logic ..why would the cameras still be able to upload to another server, this would suggest that the cameras must do what they are meant to do and thus working correctly, so the problem must be with the server or plusnet have blocked the cameras ip address

Have you succeeded in getting a camera to actually upload a picture to any FTP site that requires a user/password?

I don't think you can trust the "test" function.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, but the manual does, pages 39, 43 and 54 of the FI8904W manual all have references to 'Server Error' do they help?