Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet / Network help

FIXED
jjjamie
Dabbler

Re: Ethernet / Network help

@Dan_the_Van 

I'm getting 1, 2, 3 and 6 so that seems to be fine.

Any ideas on why I'm not getting a connection?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

The hub one will try to connect to your PC at 1G , it might be the utp won't support that speed, so if you can drop the connection to 100M it might help, this would have to be done on the PC network hardware properties.

Dan

jjjamie
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van 

The PC works fine when connected directly to the Hub, however one of the ethernet cables is Cat 5, not Cat 5E.

I have just tried dropping the connection to 100M, no change.

I will buy a second Cat 5e and try that. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

think you'll find that only two pairs (four wires) are required

Agreed, but  most patch cables would be wired for full duplex Gigabit and have all 8 pins connected.

If you're going to try and check the fixed wiring with a tester, then you need to start with 2 fully wired patch cables

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jjjamie In message #24 of the thread you mention using a PPPoE connection in Network Centre.  You are setting up a standard  ethernet network so do not try and use a PPPoE connection. It's not needed and will not work.

jjjamie
Dabbler

I've now got two cat5e cables with 8 working pins.

However, still no connection on the PC. Gah!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So to be clear,  does the socket wiring check out ok with the tester now ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jjjamie
Dabbler

Forgot to check that - no - I only get 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fix
Looking at the pictures of the wires in the connections , It lools like the wires have not been fitted correctly with the correct tools.
I'm sure I can see wires not in the metal tags properly and damaged tags (called tines).

They should be pushed into place with a tool like this below. You'll need some new conectors too. Use your google mojo to find out how to do it. 🙂

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-Professional-Punch-Down-Cutter/dp/B07RSR3FRX/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?adgrpi...
jjjamie
Dabbler

@Bogbody 

Thanks for that. Do you think I need to replace both, or just one?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Bogbody wrote:
Looking at the pictures of the wires in the connections , It lools like the wires have not been fitted correctly with the correct tools.
I'm sure I can see wires not in the metal tags properly and damaged tags (called tines).

Agreed @Bogbody , and they appear to be entering the IDC terminals from the wrong direction.

And looking at the lower image in post #26, the other terminals appear to be speaker cables.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Replace both - and certainly check or replace all the others. They are likely to have been fitted at the same time.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and by the same person who obviously didn't have a network tester🙄

jjjamie
Dabbler

Thanks for your help all, I'm very grateful! Now you point it out I can see they're wired backwards on one side. I've got two new faceplates and a tool coming. Will update as I get on.

Yes, those pillars are for speakers which are in the suspended ceiling, sadly a cheap jobby too. Luckily I have a good hifi of my own, I may yet replace them and use them in conjunction - party mode 😁
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jjjamie wrote:
Thanks for your help all, I'm very grateful! Now you point it out I can see they're wired backwards on one side. I've got two new faceplates and a tool coming. Will update as I get on.

@jjjamie 

Unless you've gone for one of those small basic plastic tools which just push the wires in, you'll see that if you offer the 'proper' tool to the IDC that it'll only 'fit' properly one way, with the 'scissors' passing close to the plastic block of the connector.

Do that first (without a wire) to familiarise yourself with how it works, then you'll see which direction to feed the wire into the IDC.  Do it in the wrong direction and instead of chopping the excess off, you'll chop the wire!