Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet / Network help

FIXED
jjjamie
Dabbler

Ethernet / Network help

Hi all,

I've got a Plusnet Hub One in my living room connected to a OnePlus master socket (I think). It works fine.

In my office is an ethernet/phone socket. However when I plus in my Hub One in this room, I get Orange flashing light and a solid orange B on the Hub One. 

Do I need to leave my Hub in the Living room and just plug my PC straight into the ethernet port? Do I need to call an electrician? I've checked and the socket is wired, however I don't know enough to know if it's wired correctly.

The building is 10 years old, I assume it was built with the socket in the office. 

Thanks for any help

Jamie

46 REPLIES 46
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Ethernet / Network help

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jjjamie some photos of the sockets may be useful

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jjjamie
Dabbler

jjjamie
Dabbler

This is the sockets in the living room, the router works here. 

WIN_20210406_19_45_20_Pro.jpg

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

It looks like the telephone socket in your office is an extension socket which isn’t wired up properly to the master socket if the router doesn’t work there. Personally I’d leave your router in your living room as fibre broadband works best from the master socket.

If you plug your PC into the ethernet port on the socket in the office, do you get a connection? 

jjjamie
Dabbler

@Thrall Thanks for your reply, I would absolutely prefer to leave the router in the living room so that suits me!

I've plugged my PC into the Cat 5e port, I'm not getting a connection

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jjjamie it looks like there are 2 ethernet sockets on the left hand panel in the living room. I would guess that these are wired point to point to other sockets. So presumably one is wired to the ethernet socket in the office and one to another socket somewhere else ?

Assuming I'm right, then you leave the router in the living room, you plug an ethernet(cat5/6)  patch cable from a lan port on the router into one of the sockets on the lh panel. Then plug a patch cable from the socket in the office to your pc.

Trial and error should tell you which socket on the lh panel is connected to the office and which to the other socket somewhere ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jjjamie
Dabbler

@MisterW That would totally make sense as my bedroom has the same set of sockets (coax, ethernet and phone).

However not getting any connection on the PC in the office. Damn thought you had it! 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jjjamie 

A Network Cable Tester can be very useful to check where Ethernet cables are connected to and can be picked up cheaply for under a tenner on Amazon, maybe under a fiver if you look on eBay!  Wink

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

However not getting any connection on the PC in the office. Damn thought you had it

In that case , as @RobPN says , its network tester time...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @jjjamie 

Some questions.

1) Do the phone sockets work anywhere in the house?

2) The phone socket you currently plug the Hub One into, is it on a outside wall and does the main phone line to the house enter the house behind it?. If you take the faceplate off the master phone socket has any extensions been wired? 

3) Do you have a tv aerial distribution system, perhaps in an electrical cupboard.

The reason I ask I have worked on an installation where inside the cabinet which housed the tv distribution amplifier there was also a  Ethernet and phone cable patch panel. There was also a Netgear 8 port switch, the switch distributed the ethernet to all the rooms in the house. In the property the main phone line came into the house to this cupboard

So the modem/router was house in this cupboard, one LAN port was connected to the Netgear switch crossover port.

Maybe you have something similar?

Dan

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jjjamie  I tend to agree with @Dan_the_Van  The phone socket in the lounge is connected but may not be the incoming phone line connection. The ethernet sockets will all run to some central location such as a cupboard and will be either unconnected cables or terminated in a patch panel. The incoming phone line and master socket may also be there, if it is the router could go in the cupboard and its ethernet sockets connected to the cables to the rooms so providing network connections. A network switch may be needed to provide additional ethernet connections depending on the requirements.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

3) Do you have a tv aerial distribution system, perhaps in an electrical cupboard.

The reason I ask I have worked on an installation where inside the cabinet which housed the tv distribution amplifier there was also a  Ethernet and phone cable patch panel. There was also a Netgear 8 port switch, the switch distributed the ethernet to all the rooms in the house. In the property the main phone line came into the house to this cupboard

So the modem/router was house in this cupboard, one LAN port was connected to the Netgear switch crossover port.

This was my thinking too - you can have all the ethernet sockets in the world all over the house but unless they're all individually connected to a switch somewhere, they won't do anything useful.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jjjamie
Dabbler

@7up @Dan_the_Van 

Could it be this?

WIN_20210407_19_08_36_Pro.jpg