cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Geolocation Anomoly

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Ebay Geolocation Anomoly

Not an issue for me but an interesting discovery when I had nothing better to do.

5 years ago when IP address geolocation problems were a hot issue I reported that I had an issue: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p....

I have just made an interesting discovery where the symptoms are, I believe, replicated. As an example take this auction item, please note that I am not promoting this item, it's just something for sale with a long date: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOTAC-NVIDIA-GEFORCE-GTX-970-4GB-DUAL-FAN-GRAPHICS-CARD/174324778274?hash.... You will note that the shipping cost is £4.10p.

PN1.jpg

Now if I then select the number of bids(1 bid at present), I find that the shipping cost is £28.07 including 'Expedited delivery to the UK' so Ebay obviously thinks I am elsewhere in the world:

PN2.jpg

If I exit this page then log into my Ebay account when I try again this is corrected:

PN3.jpg

Since my original post I have moved to a fixed IP address and a new computer. So is this a general problem due to Ebay assuming everyones location is, for example, in the USA or is it specific to me? I find it hard to believe that this is simply a IP geolocation database error (twice). If any reader has an Ebay account and fancies trying it I would be interested in the results.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Ebay Geolocation Anomoly

Maybe it's just you. @Baldrick1 . I get, from the same 'Number of bids' link:

EBB.PNG

John
Baldrick1

@jab1 

Thanks for that, it's very much a mystery. I have never had any other geolocation problems country wise although different DNS geolocation databases locate me in all corners of the country, depending on which one I ask. I have never come across a complaint that there is any geolocation problems with fixed addresses and no, I am not using a VPN should any-one ask.

It's obviously not a problem because if I'm interested in buying an item I will be logged in to my account.

Moderator and Customer

davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Postage stays the same for me (£4.10) both logged in and logged out.

Bet the person selling this is getting excited about the number of views it's getting 🙂

Baldrick1

@davel8r 

Thanks for your input. That's kicked off another thought. Once I log in to Ebay my location remains correct even if I log out. However this goes back to normal if I close my browser. This is set to clear all cookies when I close the browser, which makes me wonder whether location is something that Ebay saves in cookies. Do you or @jab1 clear cookies or keep them?

Moderator and Customer

davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

@Baldrick1 

I normally leave cookies but in the interest of science (and it's hot and ice cream time) I deleted cookies and all site saved data. No difference to the postage cost - remains at £4.10.

This was with me logged out of eBay. I logged back in and still the same.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Baldrick1 All except a very select few - NOT eBay, are cleared at close of play each day.

John