cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 130 and Draytek router- slow

Aitchgee

Draytek Vigor 130 and Draytek router- slow

I switched from Sky to Plusnet just over a week ago, on Unlimited Fibre Extra. I'd heard Plusnet's router wasn't too great and I was concerned also that it might arrive days after the change over, the post being a bit disrupted recently. So I bought a Draytek Vigor 130 modem - I also had a Draytek Vigor 2910 VG router I'd been given a while back so I wanted to use that as well.

The modem connected immediately and everything worked ok, except that I got a speed of around 25 Mbs, nowhere near the minimum of 60 promised.  I waited a week in case it improved- and then prepared to complain. I connected Plusnet's equipment, as I expected that would be the first thing they would ask - and got the promised speed right away.

Ok, so no problem now. But I imagine there is some setting on the Draytek equipment that needs changing if I am to use them - though I can't see a compelling reason why I would. I am curious, however,  and if anyone is interested enough to reply knowledgeably, that would be great. But if no one can be bothered, that would be entirely understandable.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Draytek Vigor 130 and Draytek router- slow

You need to discover whether it's the 130 that's not synching at the same speed as the Plusnet router OR whether its the 2910 that's limiting the performance. I'm not sure how you get the line stats from the 130 but if they're not as good then it might be worth checking it has the latest ( and correct BT ) firmware https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

As to the 2910, it is quite an old router and so its performance may be limited.

As a quick test, you could try connecting the 130 to the phone line and then connecting it to the WAN port on the PlusNet router. That would determine whether its the 130 or the 2910 limiting the performance

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Aitchgee

That's really helpful- thanks very much. I shall follow up your ideas.

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

The limiting factor is the 2910.
From here
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31053-draytek-vigor-2910g-review
Test Description Throughput - (Mbps)
WAN - LAN 27.5
LAN - WAN 27.9
Total Simultaneous 27.8
Max Simultaneous Connections 40
Firmware Version 3.2.3.1

Which is close to what you are seeing
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
Aitchgee

Very helpful, thank you. I see the review also says explicitly "not fast enough for fibre" . I was naive. I should have checked it out more carefuly instead of foolishly assuming it was state of the art stuff. The art some years ago, maybe.

Sadder and wiser- a little bit!