Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Youtube

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Downloading Youtube

Hello again @Mav .

I've changed my mind and installed JDownloader. It needs a bit of getting used to, and I may need to tweak the setup to make it easier to use, but I have been able to download 3 videos to test it. At the moment it seems to be more complex to use than 4k Video is, but at least it works, so it will keep me going until 4k Video Support come back with a solution.

Thankyou (and thankyou to all the other helpers too)

Mav
Fixes: 515

@penneck 

Glad to be able to have helped.

Actually, JDownloader appears more complicated than is really is. For your usage all you really need is to go to Settings > General and enter the folder you wish to download to. The reconnect and Connection manager options can be safely ignore especially if you have a static IP. Account manager can be left alone if all you wish to do is download from You Tube. All the rest of the settings can be ignored. I assume you have the 'Clipboard Observer' selected - if not, then do so as it saves pasting your copied URLs.

Everything else can be left as is and you're good to go.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Mav 

I've got everything set as you suggested including the Clipboard Observer, but I still have to Copy & Paste from YouTube to JDownloader, so I may have to play a bit. Otherwise, how does JDownloader know what to get?

Cheers

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@penneck  I understand your reluctance to "edit" the registry, but "cleaning" via the ccleaner or any other regsitry cleaner, is not really "editing" in the same sense... 

"Editing" is when YOU actually change the values in the registry entry that you have decided to change

"Cleaning" is when the software has checked your registry entries, and decided that the do not refer to anything current in the registry, and can be safely removed.

Otherwise, what is the point of the software ?

It works in the same way as the other part does, cleaning out dead files and folders and cookies etc.

I have never had any problems with taking that route.  So just go ahead and "fix all".

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck wrote:

I'm a bit cautious when dealing with the registry because I understand that if you mess up when editing it, you can get into a terrible mess.

I'd agree with that sentiment @penneck .

Despite what some people say about the bells and whistles of registry cleaners, they're not 100% guaranteed not to mess something up, so unless you're confident enough to understand that what they're removing/editing is not going to stuff things up, or you've got a reliable backup, then IMO (and that of many others), they're probably best avoided.

RPMozley
Pro

@penneck
It seems as though the auto download of binary has become broken in Open Video Downloader (youtube-dl-gui) and program hasn’t been updated to fix it (as of yet).

Manual download is required for the binary “yt-dlp.exe” from https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases
and copy it to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\youtube-dl-gui\resources\app.asar.unpacked\binaries
It should work ok after that.
That's RPM to you!!
RPMozley
Pro

Alternatively download a forked updated version of the app from
https://github.com/StefanLobbenmeier/youtube-dl-gui/releases
Contains fixes from original.
That's RPM to you!!
Mav
Fixes: 515

@penneck wrote:

Hi @Mav 

I've got everything set as you suggested including the Clipboard Observer, but I still have to Copy & Paste from YouTube to JDownloader, so I may have to play a bit. Otherwise, how does JDownloader know what to get?

Cheers

@penneck 

JDownloader scans any copied links for valid URLs then adds them to the queue as seen in the linkgrabber window. In fact, if you copy any text which uncludes a valid URL it will strip out the irrelevant parts leaving just the URLs.

Try disabling/enabling the clipboard monitor although that shouldn't need to be done.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penneck
Aspiring Pro

To bring everryone up to date, I have JDownloader working so I can get on with that, though I would like to solve the problem of 4k Video Downloader, in case the problem is something on my pc. I've just installed the latest lssue of 4k Video Downloader on my pc, and it still crashes. I contacted 4k Videos support people, and they have taken copies of my log files and crash (dmp) files and passed them to their techies, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I can read the log files, but does anyone know of any software I could use to read the dmp files?

RPMozley
Pro

You could try using notepad++ but not sure you will be able to decipher anything from it as it’s just a memory dump.
That's RPM to you!!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've just installed Notepad++, and used it to open the latest dump file. Its nearly 3000 long lines containing loads of NUL and DEL and other similar types of things, but nothing I can make sense of. This is going to take a lot of study.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

An update to this little problem - I have found an archive of 4k Video Downloader, and installed version 4.19.3 (the one I had problems with was 4.22.1 or thereabouts). I can run 4.19.3 without crashing, but when it mentions an update, if I install that update (4.22.2) I'm back to crashing again.

Since then, I've gone back to 4.19.3 so it isn't crashing. However, 4.19.3 came as a zip file, and I'm not very knowledgable of using zip files. I have sort of blundered through what I think is the install process successfully(?), except I havent got the 4k Video Downloader icon on the desktop, plus 4k Video Downloader doesn't appear now on the Uninstall list in "Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Programs and Features" so I cannot Uninstall it except by deleting the files. That suggests the install didn't work properly

Any suggestions please?

Thankyou

RPMozley
Pro

Not sure where you got that zip file from but most of the time you can find previous versions available from file hippo.
Here’s the page for 4k:
https://filehippo.com/download_4k-video-downloader/
That's RPM to you!!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @RPMozley .  Re- the source of the zip file - I did a search for "4k Video Downloader archive". The source at the top of the search results had a long list of versions going back from the latest to a long way back. I just picked on the latest one from 2021, but as I believe I have mentioned I may have messed up the unzipping. Any guidance on that would be appreciated

Thanks

RPMozley
Pro

A zip file is simply a compressed archive of files (or a single file), it’s not an installer. It will be similar to a portable windows app, for your instance.

All you have to do is delete the files that were “extracted” from the zip. Then use the installer from “File Hippo” to have it installed properly.
That's RPM to you!!