cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

Do I really need Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

I am at a loss with information overload as to whether I need to have this and all the updates on my laptops

I just don't understand if I need it or not.

Can anyone tell me in plain terms IF I need it and why

PLEASE

31 REPLIES 31
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Do I really need Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

.NET Framework 4 Client Profile is a collection of software libraries provided by Microsoft that are needed to run some apps. There are quite a lot of apps which rely on it, without it the apps simply won't work. Like all software from time to time they find security vulnerabilities in it, the updates fix these and keep your laptop secure. Its good practice to keep your laptop up to date with Windows Updates and Anti Virus updates.

RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

Thank you for this though I must now ask is it for Apps only? I just do not run them on the laptop but do run programs like Office and  IE (for some reason Chrome is just so slow)

If it is just an app based thing could I do without it ? and I am up to date  with the W7 from MS.

mikelahey
Pro

No its used by programmes as well, I was just using apps as a generic term to cover programmes and store apps.

RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

Ah OK  thanks for that it is better to appear foolish ad ask the daft question then to end up a complete twit by DIY and the mess you get into 

Thank you

mikelahey
Pro

No worries, I was always taught the only foolish question is the one you don't ask. Smiley

Off the top of my head MS Office and Internet Explorer don't need the .Net framework as they are native code, although some add ins may need it, e.g extensions for MS Excel.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Microsoft have lost control of their software.

They ought to know if any software installed on your machine has any dependency on any component provided by .NET Framework 4 Client.

It is apparent that they haven't a clue.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I would say that the chances are that you do not need the .net framework.  But the only way to find out is to uninstall it and see if any adverse consequences result.  Any half-decent software that does depend on it will tell you if it goes missing when you run that software.

Foxy has forgotten that Microsoft originally never sought to control what software would run on a PC.  Although they are moving gradually to a regime of greater control and lesser freedom, it is still the case that anyone can write software to run on DOS or Windows and they can use add-ons like Flash or .Net if they choose.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RaddandSand2001 - The key in this question is ‘Client Profile’ if you read what it says about this the implications are that you may already have installed software that relies on this package, so it may be worth while checking your installation history to see what was installed at the same time as the Client Profile, this might provide a clue as to what uses it.

Also it depends on what version of Office you have if it’s 2010 or less then IIRC there is no .NET dependency for this. However I do know that 2013 does have a requirement for it but it may not necessarily be the Client Profile.

RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

Back to being fully confused again.

Oh well I think as there is the proverbial bag of worms to be let loose (or not) then I am just going to say OK guys and girls Thanks for all the help though I am not going any further and I shall just let things stay as they are.

Too many variables and well could be or could not be to contend with.

I typed 'client profile' into the search box so that's the end of my idea to slim down all the junk from this and the other laptop to see about speeding loading etc

Thanks ALL for the input. too much of a jargon overload for me to continue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RaddandSand2001 - Oops, I certainly did not mean to confuse you, far from it. But hopefully this will clear things up. The Client Profile is not installed by Windows Update (only maintained by it) but is installed either as a separate download or as part of the installation process when you install an application that relies on it.

Unless you downloaded this software yourself (which I doubt) then my assumption is that you need it, and as you do not know what software it was installed with it would be best to leave it be.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought Microsoft recently made some version of the .NET Framework 4 into some sort of recommend update set for automatic installation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ejs - That may well be the case, but the Client Profile as I understand it is (was) installed on request, but having said that it as since been discontinued in favour of the full redistributable package.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

RaddandSand2001
Dabbler

Hi Mook,

Thank you for the help, I read through several "help and advise threads" on various sites and there were lots of do this do that D/L this D/L that and then there were the usual get this pay that and your troubles would be over. lol.

I am a basic silver surfer and so seem to follow those who know about this white mans magic, I could possibly tie knots with you in MY profession though some things I do make others loose the contents of their stomachs quickly. lol.

I have had Toshiba laptops for many years and have had little in the way of problems until recently, I have run Kaspersky (paid) for as many years as I can remember and have been with Vista then to W7 each to his own I hear say.

I still run one Vista laptop (the wifes) and this is a W7 64 bit, I tell you this so that maybe you will spot where my issue lays. I used to run Chrome but it got to the point where if you went on a bookmark (or any page) you could click then pop off for a toilet break and when you came back the circle thing was still going round? I reverted back to IE and had to update that to 11 I think, the speed was fantastic compared to Chrome. so inquisitive me set about to find the issue as I actually like the Chrome set out (sad yes I know)

I have also ran the Ccleaner for many years and use it to try to keep registry etc clear and as clean as "I" think I can.

Office is the 2007 version, and this brings me to where I am now Kaspersky say there is no issue with their programs and my OS, I am a PlusNet customer and found this site by accident (as most things for me regarding the computer)

I am going to leave alone all the rest of the bits n bobs in this laptop, I have tried FF and other browsers butI maybe a stick in the mud and just seem to not get on with those I have D/L and tried then uninstalled and deleted left over via CCleaner.

Well after all that I can only say a big thank you to those who have put some help for me

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had Toshiba laptops for many years and have had little in the way of problems until recently...

@RaddandSand2001 - So what exactly is the problem you are having?

If you are just looking to put your PC's disk on a diet and you want to get the 'best' out of your machines then I would recommend using this, others my well have their own opinions, but having ran it at our offices for a good few years it has never let us down and does exactly what is says is does.

As regards a browser I have found that WaterFox (64bit) is a good choice.