cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deco M5

FIXED
Robpg1970

Deco M5

I purchased a Deco M5 as I was having problems with internet dropping in bedrooms. I turned the router off, plugged first one in. Went through steps in app. Had to ask plusnet for some technical data but they wouldn’t tell me (even though dat before someone else said I was allowed to set up mesh system and to call support if needed help). It all seems to be working fine  everything is connecting to the new network no dropping out when surfing etc. However I can still see the plusnet connection in my list of WiFi connections. Is this correct? I’ve seen some threads where people have switched WiFi off on router but it didn’t ask me to do that on tplink app. I ain’t technically minded so simple explanation would be appreciate 😁

15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Deco M5

Fix
It’s not clear from this whether you plugged the m5s into the PM router or not?
You’ll need to as the m5 doesn’t have a modem built in.
Also you’ll need to switch the Wi-Fi off on the router yourself the tp link software won’t do that for you.
You can access the router at http://192.168.1.254
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Robpg1970

I turned router off plugged m5 into back and turned back on. so I just now need to click on that link and disconnect internet? 

dvorak

You need to turn off the wifi, not disconnect the internet.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.
Click Advanced Settings
Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Think there's a turn off wireless there

Customer / Moderator
Robpg1970

Thanks for your help. Seems to be working. Will taste the original blackspot over next few days and hopefully everything sorted

dvorak

Glad it’s working Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Bold_guy51
Hooked

Good afternoon all 👍. I have just come back to Plusnet ffb I have the TP link Deco M5 and would also like a bit of technical help if possible. Would I put the router into modem mode and that's it plug the mesh system in and WiFi all over the house is it this simple.

Thank you
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I have just come back to Plusnet ffb

If youre on FTTP (full fibre) then, forget about the PN router,  just connect the Deco M5 directly to the ONT , configure the WAN connection for PPPoE with your Plusnet username & password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bold_guy51
Hooked

The TP link isn't the router but the mesh system I would need router with WAN port for the ONT I believe
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The Deco can operate I router or access point mode. I assumed that with you asking about modem mode on the pn hub then you were using router mode on the Deco.

If you're using access point mode, then just connect it to a lan port, ( the ONT is connected to port 4 ) ) on the pn hub, leaving that in its normal mode.

BTW modem mode on the PN hub doesnt make sense ( in fact it won't work) for fttp , the ONT is the modem. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bold_guy51
Hooked

So in reality I don't need a modem is this correct if this is correct I am looking at a couple of TP link routers with WiFi 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So in reality I don't need a modem is this correct

correct

If the deco m5 is working ok for you at the moment, then just carry on with that.

Bold_guy51
Hooked

Will be connected upto pn on wed/Thurs I did originally try with my old supplier and didn't connect I do have or supposed fttp
Bold_guy51
Hooked

PN hub2 arrived yesterday I was thinking of buying my own router/modem was looking at again a tp link. This is the email I received back from TP link

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for contacting TP-Link support.

For your issue, currently, Deco supports five internet connection types: PPPoE, Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPTP, and L2TP. That means Deco can work with most internet service providers.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
I don't know what the heck this means can someone advise please.

Thank you
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Bold_guy51

can someone advise please.

I did, earlier.

just connect the Deco M5 directly to the ONT , configure the WAN connection for PPPoE with your Plusnet username & password