cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data retention

stephenday
Grafter

Data retention

Can anyone tell me what customer communications data is retained by Plusnet, and for how long, in order to comply with UK/EU legislation?  Also, do I have right of access to the information for which I am the data subject under the Data Protection Act?
Plusnet has published a data retention policy here:
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/data_retention_policy.shtml
and a retention schedule here:
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/data_retention_schedule.shtml
but they make no mention of comms data that falls under "the Data Retention Directive 2006/24/EC", which came into effect in April last year.
Anyone from Plusnet care to comment?
Regards,
Steve
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Data retention

Quote from: stephenday
Can anyone tell me what customer communications data is retained by Plusnet, and for how long, in order to comply with UK/EU legislation?

What specifically do you mean by 'customer communication data'?
Also, do I have right of access to the information for which I am the data subject under the Data Protection Act?

Yes, but there's a £10 processing fee associated with making such a request.
but they make no mention of comms data that falls under "the Data Retention Directive 2006/24/EC", which came into effect in April last year.
Anyone from Plusnet care to comment?

As above, I'm not entirely sure what this directive entails, perhaps you could elaborate?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulby
Grafter

As above, I'm not entirely sure what this directive entails, perhaps you could elaborate?

I think he means this piece of legislation: UK Statutory Insrtument 2007 No. 2199 - The Data Retention (EC Directive) Regulations 2007 - paragraph 5 specifies what needs to be retained.
stephenday
Grafter

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your response.  In fact I'm referring to this piece of legislation from 2009:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2009/pdf/uksi_20090859_en.pdf
The version from 2007 cited by Paul03 only relates to fixed and mobile telephony.  The 2009 regs also include internet data (e.g. web, email and IP telephoney traffic).  See the Schedule, Part 3 at the end.
I'm just interested to know more about the details of what Plusnet actually log in order to comply with this, and whether it is exempt from a data subject request under the DPA.
Cheers,
Steve
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm not too clued up on data retention to be honest, but I've asked the question, and will come back to you when I get the answer. Smiley
stephenday
Grafter

Thanks Mand, I appreciate you following up for me.
stephenday
Grafter

EDIT:> Apologies for bumping this post.  It's just dawned on me that I can PM Mand directly
Hi Mand,
I was  wondering whether you ever received a response regarding this query?
Cheers,
Steve

artificer
Grafter

i would also be interested to know mand's answer.