Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashcam/ sat nav query

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Dashcam/ sat nav query

If I plug in the dashcam and a sat nav to the cigarette lighter socket using a double socket connector the sat nav will not work, simply comes up with the message,' closing down in 30 seconds'. Which suggests it is not getting external power.

If connected on it's own the sat nav works ok. To my knowledge there is considerable power output from the cigarette lighter socket, you can even plug a travel kettle in and it will work so what could be causing this problem ?

currently means I can either have the dash cam on or the sat nav but not both.

Any ideas ?

This problem is there irrespective if the engine is running or not.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dashcam/ sat nav query

Same problem, how do I power two (12v-5v) items from one 12v car socket.

I purchased a couple of USB to MINI USB long cables, which plug directly into each item...

Plugging one cable into a USB - 12v-5v Car adaptor worked for one item.

The other item I plugged into a Powerbank, worked fine.

Finally, I purchased a 12v car plug  to illuminated double USB 5v socket, which powers both items ok.

(Rated at 1.2A & 2.0A)

This should work for you...

If not, use the powerbank trick...

Tagger
Grafter

It sounds like you've got a dodgy adaptor.  I use one from Halfords for a satnav and dashcam, and it works fine.  A "cigarette lighter" socket should be good for at least 10A, which is way more than you need for a couple of small gadgets.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

quite simple.
the double socket is not able to supply the required output to both sockets at the time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a new dual (front and rear) dash cam the other week and I got the local auto electrician to hard wire them, he did it in less than an hour and took £35 off me. And with it being hard wired it can be set to record when it detects movement.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@chenks76 wrote:
quite simple.
the double socket is not able to supply the required output to both sockets at the time.

Quite correct, it's not.

But why, surely it simply consists of contacts plus a bit of wire which looks as though it could carry the current, no fancy circuit boards or anything else in it.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Fix

@Anonymous

@Tagger

@Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, the quickest way for me is a visit to Halfords.

Thanks

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:
Quite correct, it's not.

But why, surely it simply consists of contacts plus a bit of wire which looks as though it could carry the current, no fancy circuit boards or anything else in it.

cheap chinese [-Censored-] most likely?
however, whenever you split anything you add interference to the system.
prime example is splitting an tv aerial feed. you start with 1 OK signal and end up to 2 less than OK signals. 9 times out of 10 it'll be OK but that 1 other time you'll end up with 2 poor signals.

the more expesnive ones have that required chips to surpress interference and boost to the required output.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this trip to get it hard wired?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous

No, just to get an adaptor.

Years ago I would have hard wired it in myself but these days I tend to go for the quickest & cheapest option.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Personally I hate long wires in the cab of the car, too easy to get caught up in. I ran a wire from my fuse box, up the a frame and along the header to the courtesy light area. I then fitted a 2 port usb (12-5V) into the header next to the light. So now I have an 8" cable from the socket to the dashcam and a spare socket in case I want it.
The fuse box wire was connect via a piggy back fuse, on to an empty port that was live when the ignition is on, so I didn't affect any other fuses, but you could piggy of the radio one.

I have a 2 port usb + 2 ciggy adaptor in a cup holder that I use for my phone with a foot long cable, had to extend the power (feed) cable on that as my ciggy socket is down by the handbrake (useless place for it!).