Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVBT Usb Dongle

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

DVBT Usb Dongle

A few years ago, can`t remember exactly when, ( probably 4 yrs ago ).. I bought a DVBT usb dongle, and plugged it in to my laptop, plugged in the little aerial, and got  some kind of TV screen showing,... but I never managed to get any TV progs on the little aerial,... so I tried it on the outdoor aerial, and it "kinda" worked... problem was, If I had the tv aerial, then the missus did not have any TV... even tried using a "splitter".. and an aerial amplifier, but still would not work two "tv`s" off the external aerial.

so, it got put away, in the back of a drawer... and (almost) fogotten,   unitl.... a couple of days ago, I decided it was time to chuck out all the useless phono leads, etc, that I never used,.. and I found it again..

I have a separate aerial on the chimney now, so I can "Play around" with the DVBT dongle,.... or so I thought... after plugging it in,... ( and connecting my chimney top aerial )... it "installed" some drivers, but nothing has appeared on the desktop, (like a TV icon, or similar).. I did find it in "devices"  and it showed that it needed more software downloading and it installed "Winfast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device.... and that is showing under "Sound, Video & Game Controllers on Device Manager.

So,.. what other software do I need to download/install so that I can access the device to see what it can receive  ( if anything ).?

It does not "show" when I look at "computer".. which shows C drive and the CD/DVD player only.

also, the red and green LED`s do not light up when the device is plugged into the USB socket.

Any info. help, much appreciated.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: DVBT Usb Dongle

you'll need the "viewing" app that came with the device.
drivers alone will not be enough to tell you use the device.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks.... just been looking on Ebay,... and I see "some" have a small CD with them... others don`t... so presume this one had the small CD.. ( vague rememberances! ! )..

Have just ordered a new one from Ebay..  so that will give me something to look forward to playing with....

Meanwhile... is there any way I can access the search of the frequency range covered by THIS one..? (. I know what the new one covers.. )  not necessarily to access the T.V. channels... just what may be "on the air"  so to speak...

chenks76
All Star

you would need the viewing app to do that as well, as it would be that app that does the tuning.
if you have windows with windows media centre installed you may be able to use it with that.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks again... will have a play, and then a long wait ! ! !>. expected sometime in 2 weeks from HK.. !

cheers

Wink

chenks76
All Star

if it's from HK it'll be cheap tat with a poor tuner that probably doesn't comply with UK standards.
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, if it don`t work, i`ll send it back, and claim a refund from ebay... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112047966980

chenks76
All Star

the item is in manchester according the listing specifics.

but reading the whole ad it's clearly written in pidgin english.

shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah I know. !... if you read the "Profile" of the seller, you can see he is "based in china".. ( I think ).. and has a chinese contact address... but "hey ho"  I`ve had stuff from china before and its been ok..  

Not really worried... if it works... fine... if not.... ebay resolution/refund will sort it...

chenks76
All Star

dunno if Elgato Eye TV software is free (or free trial), but that may work with your current device.