Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DJI drone update problems

Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DJI drone update problems

A real longshot here but does anyone have a DJI drone and problems updating the firmware?

The DJI controller - which is Android based - connects quite happily to the router via wifi, but clicking "firmware update" (there's a new one today) times out or gives a server error message. If I connect the controller to my (Plusnet Mobile) phone running as a hotspot it works fine. I've tried changing my router DNS from Plusnet's to Google and OpenDNS without success.

Now the interesting thing is that quite a few people on certain other ISP's (UK and USA) have exactly the same problem, but no-one seems to know what the cause is, or the common factor.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: DJI drone update problems

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to Tech Help

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Stoker
Rising Star

Even stranger is that even though the controller cannot update itself over wifi, I can update it when it's USB-connected to my Windows PC using the "DJI Assistant 2" utility.

The PC is obviously using the same router and internet connection as the controller. Makes no sense...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Have you tried disabling 'Private DNS' on the Android device ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stoker
Rising Star

I have the DJI-RC. Although Android-based you have very limited access to the underlying settings and I can't see anything VPN-related in Network / Advanced.

Anyway - as I discovered after first posting the Assistant tool works fine so I'll stick with that. Thanks anyway!