Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect Smart TV to the Internet

FIXED
feilim
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Connect Smart TV to the Internet

Hi.  I have a Sony Bravia TV but the online services on it are not working such as the Google App Store.  When i go to settings on the TV the internet has been connected but when i go to the App store it says the internet is not connected.  I have read online that i need to match the IPs etc for the TV and the router.  However i cannot find a clear explanation of how to do this.  Please can someone help on this? 

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Connect Smart TV to the Internet

@feilim - I'll ask before someone else does. How is the TV connected to the Internet? Wired or Wireless? Oh and of you can can you provide the Model No of the TV as well please.

feilim
Dabbler

It is currently wireless but I had it wired today as well to see if it would help and it doesn't. Model KDL50W805C.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@feilim - According to the manual the connection process is easy or so it would seem. So on the Settings 'shelf' next to the Settings Icon does it tell you the name of the Network you are connected to?

I don't know if you have seen this but may be of interest as it goes in to more detail than the Manual as regards connectivity.

feilim
Dabbler

Yes Mook I have done all of this. The internet is showing as connected on the home page of the tv and the plusnet name showing beside settings icon. However when I click into Google Play or any other shortcut it says internet not connected. I think there is a conflict with the IPs and the tv is reading a different one than the router but this is why I need this advanced help
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You should be able to get the TV to report what IP address it has, the IP address of its Gateway and the address of its DNS server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK @feilim, when you went through the settings I assume you did connect to your own network and not that of a neighbours, it's easy to fat finger this when using a remote control. If you’re using a Plusnet router the network name and the key you need to connect should be on a card (I think, or on the side / base of the Router). Go through the setup again and select the “Connect by scan list” and from the list presented select the name of your network, Also remember that the password is case sensitive and should be entered exactly as you see it on the card (or on the side / base of the Router).

Edit:- As @ReedRichards says it might be an idea to check these detail via Setting > Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Network Status.

feilim
Dabbler

Mook I don't think this is the issue. It is connected to the right internet as it says connected and it was actually connected by a wired connection and the App Store didn't work. I would like to know what settings on a smart tv and a router need to be the same for it to work?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Which router do you have? Don't suppose its a Hub 1 or BT hh5 with smart setup on?

feilim
Dabbler

It's a plusnet hub with the 2 feet
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Have a look here presumably the Hub One, if so, the second part of my question, does it have smart setup switched on? I don't have one, so not sure if it uses this feature like the BT HH5 that it is based on. But if it does then it will cause problems like you describe.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @feilim

If you're still having problems, and if it's an issue with DHCP automatically assigning the IP, you could try manually configuring the Smart TV with the following details.

IP Address: 192.168.1.77
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

I hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
feilim
Dabbler

Hi Anoush I managed to change the IP to one you gave and the subnet mask and gateway were already what you said. These are all showing now under network status and App Store still not working. It asked me for primary and secondary dns info but I don't know it so it is sitting as 0.0.0.0 for both. Do you know this?
feilim
Dabbler

Yes it is the hub one. How do you know if has the smart set up switched on ?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

You would have to log into the router and go to the advanced section, had hoped someone would have mentioned if its a feature on the Hub 1.

However the fact that you have no DNS set might be another clue, you could try using Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Normally the router would take care of this, so it does seem strange that it needs to be set up.