cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codes on Plusnet Fault ID Form

duchy
Hooked

Codes on Plusnet Fault ID Form

I'm quite new to Plusnet forums so would appreciate any ideas.

I have a no dialing tone query underway. Have checked everything at socket with working phones.

They tested line and went OOPS! Now have form with the following. Does it mean anything very helpful like an acknowledgement there is a Fault?

Fault location: CE
Diagnosis code: T017
Description: FAULT - Dis In Network

External fault reason
---------------------
Reason: FAIL

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

10 REPLIES 10
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: CODES ON PLUSNET FAULT ID FORM

@duchy Welcome to the forum. 🙂

Not sure about T017, but 'Dis in network' means that there's a lack of continuity in one or both of the wires from the exchange to your property.

CE means that the system estimates that the fault is in 'Customer Equipment' but that is very often incorrect. It's much more likely to be external.

However, to be sure - have you tried for dial tone in the engineering test socket behind the master socket faceplate?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
duchy
Hooked

Hello Hero,

Thanks very much for your reply.It was great that someone has responded so quickly!

No, I haven't looked behind the faceplate. I'll see how things look tomorrow. It just seems weird that the broadband is fine.

Thanks again!

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@duchy wrote:

It just seems weird that the broadband is fine.

That's not unusual. If you're on FTTC, and the fault is on the exchange side of the cabinet, only telephony is affected, as data is on fibre and voice is on copper between exchange and cabinet.

If you're on ADSL (copper all the way), sometimes you can get reduced speed broadband if only one wire of the pair is disconnected, depending exactly where the break is.

Hope it goes well.

198kHz (customer not staff)

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
duchy
Hooked

Thank you very much for the info. I had no idea about the split betwen the two services. I can see this may be a steep learning curve for me! And, thanks again!

duchy
Hooked

I did have a look into the socket. But there is no separate place inside inside to plug in a corded phone to test.At present phone and broadband run from the socket right through the house on a loose cable. It worked in the past but now we have gone over to a better service the cables etc may not be adequate.    Now I think about it I'm not aware of any BT  technician being inside the house for possibly 30+ years! See photo attached .Maybe I will need the engineers after all. Thanks again for your help!

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

An LJ2/1A - you don't see many of those in the wild. 😉

As you therefore have no reasonable means to establish whether a fault is inside or out, the OR engineer who attends to your fault should fit a modern master socket. Not sure whether an accompanying filtered faceplate Mk4 is obligitory, so might be useful to have some chocolate biscuits on hand. 😉

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
duchy
Hooked

Thanks again Don't Panic! I wish I could give you more than one tick at a time. I'll be phoning PlusNet this afternoon & will take it from there. Will let you know how I get on with  engineers.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@duchy wrote:

Thanks again Don't Panic!

Just to clarify - 'Don't Panic' is the avatar, 'Hero' is the forum rank, and '198kHz' is the username.

Your original post appeared to indicate that you had used the auto phone fault checker and got a fault readout, in which case it should have forwarded the report to Openreach for their attention.

You can check the ticket here -

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

An LJ2/1A - you don't see many of those in the wild.

You certainly don't. Also that cable doesn't look like the actual incoming drop cable , they're not normally 6 core white are they ? That's more like internal cable

That would suggest another junction box somewhere...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@MisterW wrote:

That would suggest another junction box somewhere...

Undoubtedly, as was the norm back then. Still perfectly acceptable. All CW1308 in customer premises was 6-wire then, and probably better quality than now.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)