cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing IP address of router

kryton79

Changing IP address of router

I use my home network to log in to my office server through a vpn.
The office network is 192.168.1.**** my home network is 192.168.1.*** so my VPN connection succeeds but doesn't get me access to the office server as it thinks my home network IS the office network. I have a second router that I have managed to configure to 192.168.10.*** and this all works fine. However I would like to be able to connect directly on my Plusnet Technicolor TG582n router to save having two routers running.
I have found the page on the router where I can change this but I just get locked out and cant get back on. I just have to reset the router to get connected again. I have tried changing the url in the browser window to 192.168.10.254 after making the change but I cant get on to it.
I am guessing I need to change something else as well but cant work out what.
Please can someone help?
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Changing IP address of router

You will need to change both the IP address of the router and the IP range allocated by DHCP so that it issues IP addresses on the same subnet as itself (change the DHCP first). Then with your PC set to get it's IP address automatically disconnect and reconnect the LAN connection to get a new IP.
If you are using fixed LAN IPs then you will need to set the IPs on all your devices to the new subnet. I'd still recommend you change the DHCP range on the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

Does the machine you are trying to access the router from after changing the IP have the same 192.168.10.x subnet as the router after you change the IP address ?
If the machines has a fixed IP you will need to change it so it is in the same subnet as the PN router. If it is DHCP assigned and the 582n is set to hand out the leases, you may need to release the IP from your PC and renew it.
kryton79

Thanks for the quick replies.
I have no fixed IPs on the network.
I have attached a screen shots of where I am at. Untitled and Untitled 2
Can someone tell me:
1. What to put in the two boxes under IP addresses in screenshot untitled
2. What to put in the array of boxes in screenshot Untitled 2 to make this work.
I basically want to change the Ip address to 192.168.10.***
Thanks in adavnce.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Go to the local network and go in to configure.
First edit the DHCP LAN_VIRT and replace .1. with .10. (4 places), then do the same for LAN_private.
Next edit the IPv4 address to change that to 192.168.10.254 and apply. You will lose the connection to the router at this point.
Now unplug the network cable from your PC and plug it back in, or if using wireless disable and enable it. That will give your PC an IP in the 192.168.10.64-192.168.10.252 range and you should be able to access the router again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kryton79

I cant see any way of editing the DHCP LAN_VIRT. I can only add a new one which brings me to the page in untitled2 in my previous post. Thats where im getting stuck as I cant get to a page that shows me what the rest of the boxes have in them...
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I don't believe it will allow you to edit/delete the DHCP pool whilst DHCP is enabled.
The procedure is
Disable the DHCP server on the router
Change the router IP.
Reconnect to router ( you may have to set a static IP the PC since DHCP is now disabled )
Change the router DHCP pool range.
Re enable DHCP server
Restart the router
Re enable DHCP on the PC if you had to set a static one earlier
An alternative method I've used is to save the configuration to a file. Then edit the file , in your case replacing all the 192.168.1.x with 192.168.10.x and then restore from the file

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kryton79

Thankyou very much for your help. I opted for the alteration of the configuration file and it worked a treat!! (Well only once I managed to find all of the relevant items to change as I kept missing them!)
Problem solved! Thanks folks!
jim:quote