Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade to windows 10

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Can't upgrade to windows 10

I have an HP G61-410SA laptop, thats been running Win7 since I got it, almost 6yrs ago.  I have the upgrade icon for Windows 10, but it tells me that I cannot run Windows 10, as there are no compatable networking devices??  This surprised me, as both the NIC and wireless work flawlessley under 7, and dont appear to be odd devices.
I have posted the device manager shots below. I have tried updating the drivers, through windows update to no avail.  Anyone seen this before?Huh
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't upgrade to windows 10

Well according to the HP site there are drivers available for Windows 10, but as you need 7 you may want to try and upgrade the BIOS to this F.23 Rev. A Aug 7, 2015 that may then give you the update you need to move to Windows 10. But take the easy way first and try installing the Chipset Driver first then if needed an applicable driver for your NIC, then the BIOS as a last resort.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-G61-Notebook-PC-series/4074351/model/4099552
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I had a similar experience with my Acer aspire laptop. I got the same message. Was very peeved for several days. I finally sorted it by updating all drivers and downloading ALL the updates, including non-essential ones.
Then the following night I got a message that Win10 upgrade was ready to download.
Not sure it is worth the effort to be honest though!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: doris
Not sure it is worth the effort to be honest though!

That made me laugh.  Truth in advertising might be:
"Windows 10 - it will be a bit better than Windows 8 when all the bugs are gone"
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I originally had the same message on this PC (which is now running Windows 10).  Try uninstalling the wi-fi in device manager (remove device), reboot then immediately disable the device in BIOS (assuming you have the option) then try again with just the Ethernet in use, if that doesn't work then re-enable the wi-fi and disable the ethernet.  This seemed to work for my PC (removing the wi-fi device allowed W10 to upgrade using the ethernet, though Realtek does appear to be a fairly common factor if you google this issue.  It's possible that some update co-incided with me removing the wi-fi so this may or may not be what worked but possibly worth a try.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.