cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an SMS only SIM, is there such a thing?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

Looking for an SMS only SIM, is there such a thing?

I have an SMS gateway that I'd like to 'upgrade' the SIM on to one that will only be used to Send / Receive SMS messages. Does anyone know of a good provider that offers decent coverage where I can get a SIM from? I don't want to have to top-up every X days and ideally the credit would not expire.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Looking for an SMS only SIM, is there such a thing?

I have a PAYG 3G sim...... put on £10.00 and it lasts until it runs out.... same as for a payg phone.... if you just want to use "part" of what it covers then I see no problem with that.... e.g. my 3G sim has not been used to make any phone calls and only twice in the past 2 months have I used it to "surf" the net for directions on line... never used it for text messages...
similarly on my PAYG phone with T-mobile.... I hardly ever make phone calls... rarely send texts.... since last christmas when I put £10 before going away, I have just received a text saying my credit is only 97p.... and should topup soon...  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

A Three 321 sim would probably be best. 2p/sms no expiry on top ups.
Community Veteran

Both sound sensible options.
@shutter who is your 3G Sim with?
@Hairy How is that billed?
Community Veteran

You get a PAYG sim (I got a pre-loaded one cheap off ebay) then you are charged by the call/sms/Mb. (3/2/1p)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Top-up Online, by Voucher or Cash Machine apparently.
There appears to be an add-on giving 3000 texts for £5 (expires after 30 days though): http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

You also get some free calls/sms/Mb when you top up, (or buy it topped up) that lasts for 30 days. Can't remember the details but it was something like 150Mb free
Community Veteran

Well considering the advice I've had I'me still confused. The SIM sits in my SMS gateway and I talk to it via telnet with messages being sent using AT commands. I don't want to interact with the card at all so an option where I top it is topped up remotely would be best, and from what I understand this can be done at a supermarket checkout?
And before anyone asks no I don't have a mobile of my own.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 58

As for signal strength, OFCOM have mapped the mobile operators signal data here http://www.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Mook
I don't want to interact with the card at all so an option where I top it is topped up remotely would be best, and from what I understand this can be done at a supermarket checkout?

Three SIM cards can be topped up online using the three website.
Community Veteran

Well that's even better news as using that (rather useful) link from georgelnx it needs to be either a Three or EE, there's no coverage from the other two providers (welcome to sticksville).
Community Veteran

My 3G sim card is from a supplier on Ebay..... !... I think I paid about £8.50 for it, including p&p. with £10.00 credit on it..... (work that one out for value ! ! ! )  HairyBiker put me on to it... it runs on the 3 network...
EE/T-mobile can be topped up in most supermarkets at their service counter... ( not sure if you can do it at the till )... or most local "convenience" shops... ( one stop, McColls etc ) local corner shops where you can get a mobile phone top up.....
You just go in there and say to the cashier..... £10 T-mobile topup please..... they print out a " receipt "  with a 15 digit number on it... and you have to put that number into the phone on a specific dial up number ..( inidcated on the receipt)...
Alternatively... I use a plastic card where Igive that to the cashier... they "swipe" it and I hand over £10 ... and job done... (5 minutes later, a text appears saying top up successful ) ...  no faffing about with 15 digit numbers...
Community Veteran

@shutter What you have sounds perfect for me are you able to provide me with a link?
I can't find anything on either EE or 3's website that doesn't cost £X per month. All I want is to have a SIM that when I credit it the money on it never expires. The system is used to send alerts meaning that a £10 top up could maybe last 3 month at 10p per message.
The ability to update the card without user interaction is a must, as I can't pull it from the gateway each time it needs topped up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Full price direct from 3: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
Cheapest I could find (didn't spend long searching though): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-3G-10-Preloaded-SIM-Card-with-321-plan-STANDARD-MICRO-or-NANO-sim-/1...
Easiest top-up is by registering a 'My3' account online: https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/My3/Register?intid=globalregister
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

w23 has given a linky to the ebay seller... ( or at least ... one of them.... )  can`t remember if that was the same guy... but that is a very similar deal...