Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect smart plugs

FIXED
verisimilitude
Hooked

Can't connect smart plugs

Hi, I've just moved to Plusnet from Now Broadband and am in the process of reconfiguring the various items around the house that need to wifi.  Everything has gone ok except for 2 wifi smart plugs that I have. The plugs are Teckin type (https://uk.teckinhome.com/collections/smart-plug/products/teckin-sp23-smart-plug?variant=40604264235...)  

I've had to set these up on different networks before so know how it should work but can't for the life of me get them connected to the new Plustnet broadband.  

Previously I've had issues that have been solved by splitting the 2.4GHZ and 5GHz bands.  I have a Hub 2 though and it seems that it's not possible to do this with this router.  I have tried switching off the 5GHz band but this doesn't seem to make any difference.   

As I said I've not had any issues with any other networks so assume this is something to do with the Plusnet router.  Has anyone else had any issues?  

19 REPLIES 19
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Can't connect smart plugs

Have you tried a factory reset on the smartplugs? This should resolve your issue. Let us know how you get on..
verisimilitude
Hooked

Hi Shep41,

Yeah I've tried doing what I think is the factory reset i.e. Holding the button in for 10 seconds. I can't find any other instructions on how to do anything else.
I've tried this several times with no luck or change in the issue. I follow the instructions on the app but it times out everytime with out detecting either plug (or tried with two different types that both worked previously).
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

verisimilitude
Hooked

Thanks Richard for trying to help.
The article suggests ensuring you are connected to 2.4GHz channel which I've done (turned off 5GHz channel on router) and resetting the plug by holding down the button for 10 seconds which I've also done.
So in my situating none of those suggestions are working either.
Thanks though for trying to help.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Thinking out loud....
It looks like a phone App is required to connect the Smartplugs to WiFi.
The phone has to be connected to a 2.4 GHz WiFi network as that desired for the plug, to connect the plug to WiFi.
Is that correct?
If so how does the App transfer the phones WiFi key to the plug - before the plug is connected to WiFi?
Maybe bluetooth?
Was bluetooth enabled on the phone?
verisimilitude
Hooked

Thanks again Richard.  To be honest I don't know the background of how the app works.  The app though guides you through the steps that should be required and bluetooth is not one of them.  But I do have bluetooth on on my phone.  The steps in the app directs (that have worked previously with the old router) are:

1. Enter wifi network password
  2. Power off plug for 10 seconds
  3. Power on and rest by holding button down for >5 secs.
  4. Select if plug button is flashing slowly or quickly (this plug flashes quickly)
  5. The app then searches for the plug but never finds it. 

The app has a variety of suggestions as well for solving this problem none of which seem to work and most of which have been mentioned here (password is correct, 2.4GHz band, etc.).  

I have 4 of these plugs in total that all worked perfectly using this method with my old network and now seem to be having problems with this new router/network.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

@verisimilitude  have you tried this

If you have a dual-band rother then you need to follow these steps. First of all, make sure your router is off. After that make a 2.4GHz mobile hotspot that has the same credentials as your Wi-Fi router. Connect the smart plug to the hotspot. After the smart device is connected. Shut down your hotspot and turn your router on. This will enable your smart device to successfully connect to the 2.4GHz band of your router.

From the link that @RichardB posted ?

I understand that you disabled the 5ghz band on the Hub 2 but there is a hidden SSID built in to the Hub 2 ( for the BT Whole home wifi ). I'm not sure if this will broadcast on 5ghz, if so it may still be upsetting the Teckin Smart plug which ( from the trick above ) doesnt seem to be able to cope with dual band routers during setup.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

verisimilitude
Hooked

This has worked.  Thanks so much MisterW (and everyone else on this thread) for helping out with this!  

SerrenWolf

Hi, sorry, what do you mean by making the hotspot and the WiFi the same credentials?

Thanks!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Set the hotspot SSID and password to be the same as the Plusnet router wireless ones

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SerrenWolf

Didn't work for me, thanks for replying anyway I appreciate it
jojo926126

My fix nothing else worked
Disable 5 GHz
Change mode1 to mode2 at bottom of screen
Save
Install all plugs check working
Now change router settings back and save
Done
MickM2

Hi

when you say change the router settings back - is that just changing mode 2 back to mode 1 OR are you also turning the 5ghz back on too ?

Thanks

jojo926126

Change 5ghz back to