FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Broken ? ? ? ? ?

@7up 

@7up wrote:

sorry can i just point out you don't get this with windows 😋

(and i should know, i ran Win7 continuously for 429 days!!!)

You Linux Basher , You  ! ! !   Cheesy ... yeah.. it`s a bit weird, as it "should" be a simple operation ...  Cry  and has been several times previously... 

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

You've run out of room on the usb stick for the remporary files/installation files.
Try a bigger one 🙂
shutter
Community Veteran

@Bogbody   As dvorak  also pointed out. .... however... I think it must be the way that mkusb partitions the usb stick.

sdc1   iso9660    1.9G

sdc2        vfat      3.9M

sdc3        vfat      USB DATA

I don`t know how they work... but I am guessing that   sdc1 is the initial MINT 20.1 INSTALL.. ( purely from the 1.9G size)  sdc2 is the persistence area.  (almost 4GB)  . and sdc3 is a storage area... for whatever....  pics vids docs  ? ? ??   no idea how to access that area.. ore use it as a larger persistence area

I do  not know how to make the persistence area bigger...using  mkusb... when I try to make a "live" usb with UNETBOOTIN   UUI  or YUMI.. they have a slider fo setting the persistence area size.. in mb ! ! ! ..

they all claim that the file system is wrong a  NTFS.....  then in the same window it says it should be FAT32 or NTFS..  and that the usb stick will not be bootable....[ OK..]

. well.. no, its not OK.. cos that is a totally confusing message, and I don`t know how to get around it... 

I would have thought that 4GB is big enough for WINE and a couple of small progs, as I have done this before, ( when I was a Windows user )....

I`m running MInt 19.3 on this laptop... with WINE and I do run windows progs via that... including the above mentioned usb burner software.... There is a USB image writer on the software menu... but there is no way of adding persistence on that one.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@shutter sdc2        vfat      3.9M

That actually says 3.9 MB not GB

Mkusb allows you to set the percentage of the remaining space on the USB (after the iso boot partition) that is to be used for persistence. Given that you have little or no need for the USBDATA (its an NTFS file system I believe) partition then why not set the percentage to 95% , that way most of the 30GB remaining will be persistent storage

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW  Ah yes.. ! ... thanks for spotting that gaff !... I will do another mkusb and see if that works better with , as you say 95% as the percentage target..

Thanks very much

Any ideas on my original queries though  ????  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@shutter the problems will likely go away once you have sufficient space.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW  OK>. thanks... I`m doing another USB stick, at the moment... 16GB.. and it seems to be progressing.... I have Mint 20.1 64bit on it now... and WINE 6.0   so it`s not looking too bad at the moment...

Thanks for your interest, and input.

Wink

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Fix

@shutter wrote:

@TheRoadCrew  OK.. so you are going to do a runner now, then ! ! ! ...

That cloud of dust you saw was kicked up by my heels...

I cannot understand how a new install can give "you have broken packages"..

I think the most likely scenario is that you and Synaptic colluded to break them.....

Fundamentally, if you are going to use a package manager which depends on online repos you really should be online when you use it.

Open Synaptic on a new install and it'll look look this:

Synaptic_1.png

Notice the status panel at the bottom - no broken packages.

Ideally, you would be online and click the Reload button, top left, to update the package cache before doing anything else.

It's not an unreasonable assumption that installing software would add packages to the system; select wine to install when offline and you'll be presented with a huge list of packages to be removed which is indicative that all is not quite right:

Synaptic_2.pngAt this point if you proceed to Mark all these packages for removal you'll see this:

Synaptic_3.png WINE is clearly marked for installation but if you look at the status panel you'll see that to proceed (by clicking the Apply button) will result in 10 broken packages....

Conclusion: Synaptic borked your system. But only when you told it to. 

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew  Thank you.... Thankyou  ......  I thang you !.. ( to quote a well known comedian of years gone by ! )

Yes, indeedy... the explanation and the pics has cleared up a lot of misconceptions and I will follow the routine  you suggest.

Much appreciated.

Many Thanks..

shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE

I have finally got a working copy !... Software manager  - useless... showed "WINE"   but was "not available".. when selected

Package Manger  - useless.. even though it did download new packages, and "supposedly" installed WINE 5.03.. when I checked with   wine --version...  it reported   wine 5.03     but when I tried my special program, there was no "Open with WIndows program loader"   only open with Archive manager

so .. I went to the net and asked Google... copied and pasted whatever  ( which I have done many times before ) .and at the end.. I entered  "    wine --version    "   and it reported    wine 6.0

and my special program loaded up correctly..

so all is happiness in the world again ! .

Thanks again for all the contributions...  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Hope you managed to download a proper package for your version 6.0?

Or did you compile from source?

It's risky (in the long run) to be installing versions that don't correspond with your repository version.

One fine day, you may get a program update that conflicts with some library that got installed with your Wine 6.0.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell 

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew  Yep! .. I think I did get the right one !....   I used the "copy and paste" from this page...

It`s a shame that Mint, being so popular, as an alternative Linux Distro  that the team cannot do what the ZORIN team have done... i.e. make provision for WINE to self install, as soon as a "windows type" program is called to install from the.exe file

saves a lot of faffing about !...

Thanks for your input.

Wink