cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Ethernet Cable

Spooooky
Dabbler

Broadband Ethernet Cable

My Dad did a complete wipe of my laptop hard drive to put Windows 7 back on. However, my laptop wireless keeps dropping my internet connection. I know it's not my router because I can get online via my mobile phone wi-fi.
I'm trying to find a correct broadband ethernet cable so I can plug that into router and into laptop to see if this will stop laptop dropping internet connection. I need a very very long cable because my router is at top of my computer desk and I like to have laptop on my lap on the settee (computer desk is in my sitting room).
Could anyone direct me to a good company or anyone who sells it at a good budget price please? I'd be very much grateful.
Spooooky  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Broadband Ethernet Cable

Spooooky
Dabbler

Oooh thank you very much  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You could try the pound shops, I got a 5m one there last week.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Pretty much any cable will be OK as long as it is CAT5e.
I did expect a "not that long" reply to my suggestion (unless the OP lives in a mansion)! Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Spooooky
very very long cable

Anything up to 100 metres is fine, meets ethernet standards and will have no noticeable impact on performance.
Cat5e is good up to 1000mbps; I doubt your broadband link is anything like that. (Even an old Cat5 cable will be good for 100mbps)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you are on ADSL connection you can move the router around in the house. Whether its a master socket or a ordinary socket. It will save u money  Wink
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd advise against that unless you really know what you're doing.
This and all other broadband forums are full of people having problems due to extension wiring.  Cool
The best place for a router is at the master socket connected with a short cable.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Agree with HPSauce..... unless you know what you are doing ....
Do NOT use the flat flexible "telephone" extension cables as they are no good..
You need to do a proper Hard Wired job on the extension using the proper "twisted pair" cable, such as this.... 
10M WHITE TELEPHONE CABLE 2 PAIR/4 CORE BT Spec CW1308
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-WHITE-TELEPHONE-CABLE-2-PAIR-4-CORE-BT-Spec-CW1308_W0QQitemZ260419635644QQ...
and fit one of these on the end..... 
2/3A TELEPHONE EXTENSION SOCKET SECONDARY PHONE POINT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3A-TELEPHONE-EXTENSION-SOCKET-SECONDARY-PHONE-POINT-/260478893295?pt=UK_...
In a previous house, my "master socket" was inaccessible for placing the router there, (no powerpoint within reasonable distance, and underneath a pair of bunk beds)... I ran Four extensions sockets on a hard wired line, and my wireless router was at the end, on the final extension socket, 15 metres from the master socket... I never had any problems about line drops, once I had done the hard wire extensions.
Currently my wireless router is on another hard wired extension 8 mtrs from the master socket, and giving me 6 MB speed download.
I can recommend the above supplier for speed of delivery and value for money.  Wink
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

have you updated all the drivers and windows updates etc on your laptop? that might solve your dropping issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
NedLudd
Grafter

The real thing to tackle is to find out why your wifi is dropping out.
Go to Control Panel and Device Manager. Click on your wifi adapter and then Power Management. I'll bet the box marked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked!
Uncheck it and click on OK. Problem solved!
Geoff,
York.