cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing Maps over-sized map view

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Bing Maps over-sized map view

I use Bing Maps quite often, but for a few days I have had a small problem with it, that because of the frequency of which I use BM, has become quite an irritant. The view of the map has become too wide, putting the list where you choose to look at a road map or at a Ordnance Survey map, or increase or decrease the scale of the map, off the side of the view. In that position, the list and scale change are inaccessible, though I can move the map around. The overall view of the Bing Maps page takes up the whole of my monitor screen, and is a correct fit. It is only the map part that is the problem. I have been unable to find a solution. Does anyone in the forum know the answer please?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Bing Maps over-sized map view

Check the zoom size isn't above 100% in your web browser. If you can't find the zoom size setting, generally holding control + scrolling up and down will increase and decrease zoom.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @Jubby . Thankyou for your suggestion. I have just tried it, and while it did change the scale of the map, it didn't move that list where you select which type of view you want (road map, ordnance survey map, etc). This list is still off the right-hand side of the screen (I can just see the left-hand end of one of selections), and that is the problem I am trying to solve.

Never mind. It was a good suggestion, and I'm grateful for your help

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @penneck,

It sounds like you are zooming out from the map, rather than zooming out the page size of your web browser. Without knowing the browser you are using it is difficult to help further.

If it's firefox, go to the top right three horizontal lines and you will have a +/- symbol with the zoom percentage in the middle. If it's google chrome, you will see three ascending dots in the top right again with the same symbols. Try increasing / decreasing the percentage and I'm sure this will fix the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @Jubby 

Thanks for your latest suggestion. Yes I was zooming the map. Your new method worked in both my browsers (IE11 and Chrome). I took IE11 down to 75% and Chrome down to 90%, and that list is visible on both Bing Maps. There has been a cost - it made everything in the browser smaller, so Google is also smaller, and the small print on web sites is smaller still. However, at least I can see the list. I could always leave both browsers at 100%, then when I need to use that list, I temporarily drop the zoom figure. As soon as I have used the list, I go back to 100%.

It does beg the question, why do I need to do that now? I never used to have to do it. Am I being caught out by modern technology where Bing Maps expect us all to have widescreen monitors? Mine is more the old tv shape (no its not a crt-type).

Anyway, thanks very much for your help. Is it too early to wish you a merry Christmas?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck 

I'm not sure about Chrome, but with IE11 it's possible to alter the zoom level for the tab you are using for Bing Maps without affecting other IE11 Tabs/Windows.  If not already set you may have to dive into the settings for IE11, but if you can't find it shout and I'll try and remember where I did it (I'm also not using a widescreen monitor).

Another setting in IE11 which can be useful for some sites which aren't playing nicely is 'Compatibility View' under the Tools menu

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @RobPN . I've tried finding some form of zoom in IE11, also in Bing Maps, that can affect only Bing Maps, and have failed. The Compatability View on my IE11 only mentions Google.

Thankyou for helping

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck 

In case you haven't got the relevant things showing already, back to basics ...

In IE11, make sure the Menu Bar and Status Bar are showing.  (Right click on the top of the Window (what is/was called the Titlebar) and select them from the drop-down menu.

You will now see the zoom control at the bottom right corner of the Window in the Status Bar, which you can use to select the desired reduction.

If you want the selected zoom level to only apply to that tab, in the Menu Bar go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Accessibility, and check the box for 'Reset zoom level for new windows and tabs' then click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

HTH

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @RobPN . I've just tried your method for IE11. It works but only until I close Bing Maps (though my test didn't try going from Bing Maps directly to Google or some other window under IE11. If I close and reopen IE11, then go into Bing Maps, the Zoom level is back to 100%. Therefore, your process works but is only temporary. If I remove the bit about checking the box for 'Reset zoom level for new windows', everything in IE11 stays at the new zoom level.

However, with the Status Bar now visible, I can change zoom level easily every time I need 75% instead of 100% or vice-versa, so I have modified your method to only have the Status Bar visible, and not checking that box.

Thanks

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck 

That's exactly how it was expected to work.  The zoom level for your BM tab will obviously be lost if you close the tab.

Checking that box works fine for me, keeping the zoom level isolated to a particular tab (though not BM in my case).

If you use BM as often as you said in your earlier post, why not just leave it open in a Window or at least a Tab at your desired zoom level?

If you tell IE11 to restore previous sessions when you restart your computer you won't have to keep resetting zoom level for BM.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@RobPN  That is a very good suggestion. I will do that

Thankyou