Did you mean: 

BT Premium cordless phone

FIXED
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

BT Premium cordless phone

Hello,

My old Panasonic cordless had started giving me problems – intermittent keys etc so after having done a bit of homework I purchased a BT Premium Phone, mainly for its call blocking facility.  I find the User Guide very unfriendly and am having problems setting this up, so I’m wondering if there are any BT Premium users on here?

My main problem is adjusting the number of times the phone rings to announce an incoming call - the Ring Delay as the User Guide calls it.  

The default delay is 5 rings and this means that if we’re in another room and the phone rings it often stops ringing before we get to it.  Now according to the User Instructions – page 38 - it can be adjusted to a maximum of 10 rings which would be more realistic. I have followed the instructions, clicking ‘save’ after selecting my choice of 10 but it still only rings a handful of times – I’ve not checked exactly how many – certainly not 10 times before it goes off. There are further instructions on page 55 which I just cannot get my head around:-

“Make sure your ring delay is set for your answer machine to pick up the call before the voicemail service does.  For BT Answer 1571, don’t set your ring delay to more than 5 rings.  BT Call Blocking must be set to off for this service to work”

Do I have to disable 1571 to get the 10 rings?  That would not be the end of the world as the phone’s base unit has an answer machine built in.  If I have to disable Call Blocking this means I could have bought another cordless at half the price…

I think I’m right in saying I have Caller Display and Voicemail included in my Plusnet call features option.

Any help would be apprecciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: BT Premium cordless phone

@PNnewbie 

If it is the model that has a built in answering machine then you should disable the 1571 service else with 10 rings the 1571 answering machine will cut in first. With a built in answering machine you don’t need it.

These phones with the true call blocker are excellent once you learn to use it, I have had one for years and they really do block all automated diallers used by spam callers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Baldrick1 - thanks for your input.

>>> you should disable the 1571 service <<<

I presume you mean what Plusnet calles VoiceMail?  I have removed the tick against VoiceMail which I assume should remove it.  When I looked a few minutes later the box was ticked again... Maybe it all takes a finite time to be removed.  I'll check tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Just a quick update...

I have checked again this morning and my VoiceMail is currently shown as active although I unticked the box yesterday.  Maybe it needs a bit more time...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@PNnewbie  There are many reports on the forum that adding or removing call features can be unreliable, it may or may not work. If the Voicemail does not get removed in a day or so you may need to call support to for assistance. Maybe one of the forum staff will spot this post and check your account to see what's going on. It might be better to post in the Phone section where staff may be more active.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid 

Thanks for your input also.

I've posted in the Phone section so as you say one of the Plusnet guys may pick it up...

Thanks again,

John

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Fix

Adam & Lauren did indeed pick this one up and sorted it out ...

Thanks to those who posted and offered suggestsions.