Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Jargon

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

BT Jargon

I just did a check on my ADSL availbility https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/telephoneHome and was a bit confused by some of the jargon in the text at the bottom.Undecided

I sort of understand "The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme." and presume some ranking for priority? Is that in the public domain?

But "The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn. and "The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted." are hard for me to comprehend Sad

"FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered." What's an ONT or WBC ?Roll_eyes

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 11.12.03 AM.png

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: BT Jargon

@Leapy 

The answer to the first line is: You'll get FTTP when BT get their finger out, but even they don't know when that will be, so there is no ranking available to anyone.

2nd Line WLR = Wholesale Line Rental i.e. you are stuck on the copper circuits until FTTP becomes available, but even then, they will still be available as not everyone will want to pay the extortionate FTTP prices. THlS saves me doing more typing.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@jab1 John,

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

Is usually only shown when WBC FTTP is available. you would normally see

FTTP is not available.

If only FTTP on demand is available

@Leapy you missed posting the important bit regarding FTTP. At the top of the checker output , in the Featured products section, does it say FTTP on demand OR WBC FTTP

What's an ONT or WBC ?

ONT is Optical Network Terminator i.e the connection box for Fibre

WBC is Wholesale Broadband Connect , it means a broadband service provided bt BT wholesale

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Here's a couple of examples

One with only FTTP on demand

nofttp.pngand another with FTTP available

fttp.png

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@MisterW OK. Thanks.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

John, No problem. I just happened to have had cause to double check it all recently.

The 2nd example is where we're hopefully moving to in the New Year. Up until recently it was FTTC only but when I checked the other day I saw the WBC FTTP. Now I just need PN to get their act together and provide an FTTP product!

Its unusual to see somewhere with FTTC available, get WBC FTTP. I can only think that, being in a Virgin media wired area, BT want to try and take some of the business for high speed connections.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

Thank you @jab1 @MisterW This is the missing bit Smiley (clearly I don't really have a clue) Funny

The missing bit :-)The missing bit 🙂

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Leapy so you have FTTP available as well as the usual FTTC. In principle you could get speeds of up to 1000Mb downstream and 220Mb upstream, if you were willing to pay the price for those speeds. Other, lower speed packages are available at 'similar' prices to FTTC. The advantage of FTTP is that is is not subject to interference from electrical noise etc affecting the broadband signal on the copper lines. It's Fibre all the way to your house. Also there's no absolute requirement to have a phone.

Problem is at the moment, PlusNet dont have an FTTP product available, so you would have to change provider if you wanted an FTTP service

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW I think you've hit the nail on the head.Roll_eyes

My current deal with PN has gone a bit haywire in that it was run to be inline with a linesaver price and now (with 4 months left on the contact) it is now MORE than the PN advertised deals for new people. Angry

So my bill for last month was £27.99 Sadand I could have BT FTTP 100 (up to 150mb down 30mb down) for £34.99.Wink...its so tempting to say goodbye to my much loved PN on the BT Hub 6.

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 6.44.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 6.25.31 PM.png

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Leapy  I think I mentioned FTTP was available to you back in August in this thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/35-years-to-discover-a-faulty-wired-Master-socket/td-p... 

As I said at the time I don't think you understood what FTTP was, perhaps now you've got it. If it was available to me I would not hesitate to order it, if it means leaving Plusnet so be it.😁

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@RealAleMadrid  I love this helpful friendly PN community 😍Smitten everyone has been so helpful and supportive. 

I currently have 3 months left of my PN contract, so I serously need to look around and Talk-Talk is only a couple of quid more a month for their FFTP and it looks like PN, can't offer it EmbarrassedCry

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 7.21.57 PM.png

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm I have Branson Media fibre - not like I have much choice for another cable provier in this country.

Bad enough that was a year and a half contract, BT products are on a two year one? Sorry better sound more PC and say 24 months. Means the same thing though.

I don't know why PlusNet don't offer FTTP, they clearly put some of the groundwork in to offer a trial. Seems to me that BT (who own them) don't want them to, which gives them a competitive edge.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

With BT, Its now getting even more affordable Shocked

Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 5.03.53 PM.png

BrianC
Dabbler

Nnote that Talktalk's "Fibre 150" product that was quoted above isn't fibre.  It's G.Fast.

These days Talktalk call G.Fast "Ultrafast Fibre Broadband", and the corresponding products are "FIBRE 150 ULTRAFAST" and "FIBRE 250 ULTRAFAST".

They call FTTP "Future Fibre", and the products are called "FIBRE 150/500/1GB - FULL FIBRE".  Fibre 150 Full Fibre is a few quid more than Fibre 150 Ultrafast.

Confusing?? Surely not!