cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC i Player running 2 hours behind when take 'Live' option.

FIXED
ronindundee
Dabbler

BBC i Player running 2 hours behind when take 'Live' option.

As per the heading, my Fire Stick (and app pre-installed on tv) has started playing all material on BBC some 2 hours behind time (on all BBC channels.) STV/ITV Player is not affected. When double-checking on PC, I found that both Firewalls were open (i.e., Both Microsoft and Kaspersky.) This has happened before, but I don't know how.

Does anyone have any idea how this could happen? And how to rectify it?

10 REPLIES 10
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: BBC i Player running 2 hours behind when take 'Live' option.

Sorry to sound so simple, but I presume you have tried unplugging for a few minutes and if not resolved, restore to factory settings? Had a couple of odd 'no idea why' wobbles with my fire stick and the unplugging has worked. At the moment it's decided to only work with my television handset, but what the heck.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
ronindundee
Dabbler

Thanks for the response. I did wonder if maybe I should uninstall bbc i player and then re-install, but I have gone with your suggestion instead. It took me a few minutes to find the 'factory settings' option, as I haven't done much exploring of the Fire stick as yet, or looked at some of the material on youtube about it.  I have tried unplugging fire stick for 5 minutes, but no joy.

Just completed the procedure, but it is still running 2 hours behind. And I now have the lovely job of (re-)entering passwords for all apps. That's not me being ungrateful, just stating a fact., and as I created them originally online, and let the computer generate them, they are mighty long and complicated. I suppose changing them online to something simpler first might be slightly quicker, but what the heck. 

Can't help wondering how many others have been affected by this particular Gremlin.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.
Minivanman
Legend

Ah yes sorry about that, I should have said you would lose everything.

It's certainly a weird problem and if not a hardware issue, maybe it's worth asking on a fb group for the product? 

Hope you get it sorted. Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from General Chat to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Having a quick look on Google, it appears when anyone else has had this issue it’s been a bug with iPlayer. Looking on the BBC website it does seem to be an acknowledged issue: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/Amazon-Firestick-Streaming?sa=MC4zMDc3NDM5MzY3NzcxMXw...
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ronindundee
Dabbler

I tried the link you provided, but on this occasion it came up as 'This page cannot be found.' Thanks for providing it though, and I may try it again at another time. I should say that the reason I have taken so long to respond is that I found that the pre-installed bbc i player app on the tv was functioning correctly after a couple of days. The fire stick is still running 2 hours behind. I had a look at some other entries that your link brought up, but saw nothing that addresses this specific issue. Since I have a fully functioning bbc i player available again, then it is not really a problem. 

My thanks to those of you who responded.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @ronindundee 

It's odd that the link doesn't work anymore. At the time it linked to an FAQ where it reported a known problem on the 31st Aug with iPlayer running 2 hours behind and the following week when I checked, it was marked as resolved on 4th Sept.

Anywho I'm glad to see you've found a workaround. Thumbs_Up

Feel free to let us know if you need any further help with this or anything else.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Fix

Google still has a cache entry for the page, although it possibly doesn't give any further info than what Anoush has already summarised.

ronindundee
Dabbler

I checked the bbc i player app on the Fire Stick again and it also is now working properly. Thanks to all who responded.

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for the update. Thumbs_Up

Herman Melville