Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAXI Gas Central Heating Boiler query

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

BAXI Gas Central Heating Boiler query

We had a new GCH boiler installed last November...

P1090411.JPG

and I think I need to bleed the rads cos some of them are not as hot as others.

On our "old" boiler, there was a flexi link pipe from the mains water input with a large black switch that I could open and inrease the water pressure as shown on the dial, to ensure that it remained in the green sector.

whilst this boiler has the isntruction

P1090413.JPG

When I look underneath the boiler,...

P1090415.JPG

. I do not see a GREEN lever.... only one yellow, and three black....

Would I be correct in assuming the black one on the right is the one that the lable is referring to?

Whilst typing and posting this thread, I notice some markings on the plate above....

so I have cropped the pic to show better

P1090415a.jpg

23 REPLIES 23
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: BAXI Gas Central Heating Boiler query

The markings would seem to indicate from the right

black - feed to radiators

Black - hot water feed

Yellow - unmarked

Pipe without tap - return from hot water 

Black  - not very clear from photo , possibly return from radiators

By elimination would that say the yellow one is the one to allow repressurise.

TBH  best option has got to be to speak to the installer hasn't it?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW Hmm... not sure about your elimination there.... I was assuming that the words  " Green" and "under the right side of the boiler" would be the one most to the right ( regardless of the colour black )..

and that the YELLOW one was for the GAS supply cut off

But as the one "under the right side" is clearly black and there is another black one there, the confusion of which of those two "should" have had a green tap fitted. is the reason for the query.

I posted on here, cos it seemed that, perhaps, I am not the only one that has this boiler fitted and someone would know... It`s not desperate a the moment... so will leave it posted, as is... and then see about contacting BAXI for clarifications if needed.

thanks for the input..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I hadn't considered that yellow could be gas , but you may be right. 

I think baxi or the installer is the best option

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW   After giving your reply some thought... and doing elimination... and trying to guess the meanings of those symbols... I reckon it is Definitely the most right hand one.... as that will provide water TO  the rads...( as you said ) .. and this is where the water pressure is impotant..... .and the one with the tap, will provide water TO the boiler for the hot water taps on the "outlet" side.

Just  found that there is an "online" email thing to BAXI... so will write it up on there and send it , just to be sure.

Thanks for your input

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

@shutter 

I would question whether it’s any of these controls. If you look at it logically, what this green tap does is bleed the incoming high pressure rising main into the central heating circuit to maintain an acceptable pressure in the central heating loop when radiators are bled.

Can you follow your pipework and identity this rising main? This should be connected to the green valve.

Also reading between the lines I suspect that this green valve is momentary action, that is, it has a spring return to off to stop it being accidentally left on and overpressurising the radiators.

Is it possible that you are looking in the wrong place or the installer never fitted it?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter 

Have you tried reading the user manual?

Page 17 looks relevant

Just a suggestion 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@shutter 

I do not think any of the taps (black or yellow ) are used to repressurise the system.

The yellow tap is the gas feed to the boiler judging by the gas bleed nipple on the end.

Assuming it is a Combi boiler, the three black taps are the feed from the boiler to the radiators and the return from the radiators to the boiler, and the hot water feed (looking at the symbols stamped into the boiler casing that is the middle black tap). 

Having done a bit of googling, the only reference I can find on a Baxi boiler to a green tap for repressurisation is for an Easy Fill Permanent Filling Link which does have a green sprung tap, but appears to be an optional fitment. See here:

https://www.bhl.co.uk/baxi-easy-fill-permanent-filling-link.html

and

Related image

It does not appear that is fitted to your boiler. 

Therefore, before touching anything under the boiler, I think you need to go back to the installer to ask what provision he actually made for repressurisation. 

jtr
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I would first check the radiator valves then bleed the radiators to see if there is air in the system ? Then pressure the system if necessary putting it back into the green zone.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 Thanks for your input.... because of that, I pulled out the tumble drier, to check the pipe runs... and... lo and behold,.... the old flexi pipe and tap are still in place !

so... I gave it a quick tweek, and it has repressurised the radiator pressure... ! Smiley

Wonder why the installer left that sticker about the green tap, on the front of the boiler...he never said ..."oh by the way... if you need to repressurise the system, use the one under neath the worktop surface, as before........"

ah well.!

So... para 1... agree !

para 2.... Yup  !   as mentioned above.

para3 ... again... Yup !... as mentioned above ! ! .

Thanks     Wink

@maranello   Yes,... the manual shows the same information as the sticker on the front of the boiler !

@jgb   Thanks for your input too,.... all good info...and thanks for taking the time to "google" for more info.... and .... as you say... "it does not look as though the installer fitted the green tap "...

however.. problem solved as mentioned in reply to Baldrick.

Thanks.   Wink

p.s. I gave the "fix" to Baldrick, but you can take half away from him, for your diligence ... thanks again.... Smiley

@jtr that is exactly what I was doing, before I posted the query... Roll_eyes   the query was about the green tap... to repressurise the system... see reply toBaldrick above.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why is the hot water and the radiator temperature turned up nearly to max on the front of the boiler?

Bit unusual.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   dunno ! ... that`s the way he left it... seems ok to me...  ! what is "usual" if i is "unusual"  ?  ?    ?

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

For my boiler @shutter usual would be to have both the dials set between 5 and 6 if you base the dials on a clock.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Assuming your boiler is an appropriate capacity, maxing out the two controls means your hot water ought to be scalding hot and you will have super hot radiators (after you have bled each one).

This causes high gas bills.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

The appropriate and most efficient settings for any installation depend on several factors including how you use the heating (is it on all/most of the time or only for a few hours morning and evening - in which case you want rapid warm up, hence a high setting); what other controls are installed - e.,g. thermostatic radiator valves etc; what is connected to the hot water system - e.g. some thermostatic showers specify a minimum hot water temperature to ensure effective and efficient mixing - usually around  60 to 65 degrees C at the shower (so, unless your boiler is "miles" away from the shower, an output hot water temperature of 70 to 75 degres would probably be adequate) - but if is there is no such requirement a lower and safer temperature would be appropriate.

You can only determine the most efficient and comfortable settings by trial and errror.