cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast Free Browser Clean-up

colintivy
Rising Star

Avast Free Browser Clean-up

I used Browser Clean up when prompted by Avast for a suspect browser pop-up. This was followed by a request to nominate a Home address with only Yahoo or Win Bling as options. Foolishly I accepted Yahoo because the clean-up would not work unless a choice was made. I tried to get rid of Yahoo using Win Control Panel but could not apply plus.net in its place. I have now found that Firefox (which I use), and others, are now included in the choices because this restrictive action has raised a lot of rage in the community forcing Avast to modify their website. I have tried to use their methods, including re-installation, to correct things but nothing seems to work. Has anyone a magic bullet for me to fire?Huh
Roll_eyes
3 REPLIES 3
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Avast Free Browser Clean-up

unfortunately you should have read the reviews of this software before installing  Sad CNET  all  say its a hijack tool.
try Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/ the free one  Wink  run a scan see what it finds
also try http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks for that. Malwarebytes duly installed. Scan did not find anything grubby. I have got rid of Yahoo and now will try to get Firefox to use plus,net as my home page as it always did!
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I also nearly fell into that trap yesterday when I updated Avast. Fortunately I decided not to proceed. I have to say I'm not at all keen on Avast and may go to AVG or MSE despite them reportedly not being as good.